Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:48:28 -0400
From:         Wesley Pegden <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Head removal: Cylinder sleeves came off (also,
              how to send gerry messages)

Of course disaster strikes whenever gerry is broken! I think I finally figured out a way to get my plea for help to the vanagon list (details at the bottom).

My head job went really well until it came time to actually pull off the heads. The cylinder sleeves seemed practically welded on, and no amount of pounding/torching/prying would separate them from the heads. After trying again this morning, I gave up and removed the heads with the sleeves. I'm looking for advice on what I've gotten myself into...

Removing the engine for me isn't really an option since my repairs are done in the parking lot in front of our small apartment.

I was looking through this article which seems to cover the head + cylinder sleeve replacement leaving the engine in the van: http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:ahde4VMwiCUJ:gerry.vanagon.com/files/technical/how-to/head-gasket-replacement.txt+herb.says+head.gasket&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It references a snap-on tool with some modifications. Looking around on thesamba, I found some references to a simpler tool that supposedly works better, an "EMPI 88-94mm ring compressor". My problem is I don't know where I might be able to find this locally, and I really don't want to wait till mid-next week to put things back together. I am already resigned to waiting till monday, though, since that's when I can get piston rings and I feel it's foolish to have come this far and not change the rings.

Is there any thing else I should know about what I've gotten myself into? My plan now is... 1. get the sleeves out of the heads now that I have the heads removed 2. remove the old piston rings 3. use a broke piece of old piston ring to clean out the ring grooves on the piston (suggested in the haynes manual) 4. clean the mating surface on the block where the head gasket goes 5. Wait till monday when I can get rings at the local foreign auto parts store, hopefully have found a suitable ring compressor, and put everything back together. (I already have a set of heads that have been to the machine shop ready to go in place of the old ones.)

Even reading the article I linked to above, I'm still unclear on step 5... specifically, how I'm going to get the pistons into the cylinders. (I compress the rings and push the piston in... how does the ring compressor come back out? I just can't really picture any of this right now...)

I would really appreciate any advice!!

Since Gerry is broken, please reply to me personally.

Thanks very much for any help!!!!! Wes

If you want to call (for example, maybe you are local and have the tool I need??), my phone number is in this file: http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~wes/phone.txt

By the way, this is an 83 1.9l, ~90,000 miles

HOW I SENT THIS MESSAGE gerry's domain name resolution is down for some reason, and his ip address seems to be refusing messages as well. I sent this message using the online interface (available as the envelope icon when you are viewing a message in the archives). You need to have setup a password for this to work. You also need to substitute the ip address 71.126.148.6 for gerry.vanagon.com in the address bar.