Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:38:55 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Any interest in a larger Westy LP Gas tank, Cheap?

I'm on the fence on whether to carry this or not, so I thought I'd throw it out to the list and let your collective wisdom guide me.

I've been offered a one-time closeout deal on a propane tank from the OEM supplier to Westfalia, which holds 2-1/2 times as much propane as the stock Westy tank. This same tank was actually used by Westfalia on a non-VW camper that they sell in Europe.

The price would be around $160, with the valve. To put this in perspective, we sell the stock Westy replacement tank for $300 - almost twice that price. This larger tank retails for close to $500 (and wholesales for close to $300). So it's clearly a good deal.

However, it's only useful to you if you can fit it on a Westy, and that's where I need your feedback. Today I held it up against my '87 and came away with these thoughts...

First of all, it is larger in diameter so it would reduce ground clearance by about 2-1/2 inches. That's not an insignificant amount, and you sure don't want your propane tank bottoming out. Frankly, that is the potential deal breaker in my opinion. On the other hand, Eurovan Campers have less ground clearance than Vanagons and people use them all the time, so perhaps some people wouldn't view this as a major drawback.

Secondly, due to it's longer length, it would be a tight squeeze to put it where the stock tank is. The sink and water tank drains are there, and while it looks like it could be done it would be inconvenient. Especially because you'd have to drill new holes to mount it, and the sink/stove cabinet is in the way. The more logical location would be on the opposite side, under the sliding door, where there is plenty of room. There, it could either replace the stock tank, or with our Extend-A-Stay kit (on closeout for $39) both tanks could be used. The latter seems like the best solution to me, as by buying the kit you'd also get the extra hoses and fittings you needed.

The tank attaches via two removable brackets (one on each end), each of which bolts to the floor with 2 bolts. You install the brackets first, then slide the tank between them and bolt it in place. It seems to me that in the interest of spreading weight distribution, the best mounting method would be to fabricate a small steel plate and place it on the floor under the carpet, then drill the holes through that plate and the floor. The plate would distribute the weight more evenly across the floor area, rather than all of the weight being at the 4 bolt points. Also the tank mounting brackets would need to be drilled for an additional hole on each side for the most flush possible mounting. (Using the existing holes it would hang down more like 3" extra, rather than 2-1/2".)

So... The question is, is this tank useful for a Vanagon Westy, in your opinion, or is it just too big? Would you buy one for $160? Comments?

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT