Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:25:28 -0700
From:         Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Summer trip (reply from digest)
Comments: To: Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@gwtc.net>

I'll second that. Most of the time when I was a kid we camped in the Eastern Sierra, and I have continued the practice when possible. U.S. Hwy. 395 mostly runs the backslopes of the Cascades and Sierras, and you can easily cross over to the coast on a number of different routes once you get in the L.A./Orange County vicinity. Spectacular vistas. Convict Lake is beautiful. As Jeff notes the Forest Service campgrounds that prevail are low on fancy services (usually a water spigot somewhere and the pit toilets) but make up for it with usually less crowds and beautiful views. In mid-summer it does get a bit crowded, mostly on the weekends, but I don't think nearly as badly as the coast.

Donna, 87 Syncro