Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:50:32 -0700
From:         John Anderson <wvukidsdoc@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lifter adjustment VOODOO

I'll put in a plug for anyone wondering about all this LONG talked about lifter stuff to check out the FAQ under technical on www.type2.com written 10+ years ago, by, oh yeah me. It details fairly obviously that quibbling over 1/2 a turn on hydraulic lifters may or may not be nonsense and profers a few long tried methods of adjustment. It was part of the original vanagon archives but those are painful to search as I recently appreciate. You must make god awful certain that the adjustment IS on a ROCK SOLID lifter, at TDC for the cylinder, and anything between 1 and 2 turns as far as I'm concerned with most any quality OEM or aftermarket lifter should be reasonably OK given proper oil pressure, a solid unworn cam, properly faced valve tips and rocker screws. All these must be verified though. I have heard rumors constantly over the last 15 years that some aftermarket lifters have supply holes in the side TOO SMALL causing weirdness if adjusted to far in, rumors from smart people who I presume I trust but I've sure never seen one. Good Febi/Bilstein stuff, adjusted to factory specs, and I've never seen a problem. But as always YMMV. And to be true although I used to build 4-5 engines a year, I haven't done one in about 4 years so who knows... I'd sure trust whatever Bob Donalds opinion is though.

John

--------------------------------- Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.