Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:25:13 -0700
From:         B <oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: (NVC)- A different kind of Westy

Hi,

It looks like the 'westfakia' that we saw locally.

Our findings were:

1) The advantage that B found was that the poptop had hydraulic lift assist. B *cannot* lift the '87 Westy poptop (No arm strength. None. Nada. Zippo. The suggestion to "... push up the top just so far ..." just isn't gonna happen!) But with this one ... Ding!

2) Look at the foot end of the poptop, where your feet would be at night. Imagine being 6' or more tall (we're both vertically gifted). Our 'Esme' has about ten inches of height at the foot end. In the westfakia there was no height for foot space. Bzzzzt!

3) Have the taller of you (over 6' tall) try to sit on the passenger bench seat. Is there enough space for your head under the 'ceiling'? In the westfakia we looked at, for S there was not. Bzzzzt!

4) The fridge was a 2-power, not a 3-power. Would have worked on either shore power or the vehicle battery, but not on propane. Our Esme is, besides her recreational goodies, our survival vehicle. We must assume that we will have to rely on propane. Bzzzzt!

Conclusion: The westfakia we looked at was pretty, but far lacking in substance.

B&S '87 *real* Westy 'Esmerelda Blanc' SoCal