Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 May 2008 08:31:31 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: lurching engine
Comments: To: John Drew <john.p.drew@gmail.com>

I don't own a WBX, but from what I've read on the list......

Check grounds and connections/plugs to all the engine peripherals in engine bay.

Check fuel filter.

Cheers,

Neil.

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:15 PM, John Drew <john.p.drew@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All:Border Stories has made it out of Texas, through New Mexico and into > Arizona, but there are now some concerns about our vanagon's ability to > reach California without a total and potentially dangerous breakdown (we > might be passing through some "rough" areas on the Mexican side). > > The reasons for concern are the following: > > After driving 150 miles or so (yesterday), we reached a slightly higher > altitude along the southern state line between N. Mexico and Arizona (at one > point I think we nearly hit 6000 feet), the car started to occasionally > lurch, as if it were running out of gas (the tank was full and there were no > gas leaks however). At first I noticed that this only happened going down > hills in the highest gear (4th), but after a bit it actually happened going > up hill too and eventually, in all gears. Fortunately, our gradual ascent > leveled off and for the most part, the lurching went away but my feeling is > that after another long drive and any more significant descents or ascents, > it will come back. Any idea what might be causing this and how we might be > able to fix it? > > In addition to this lurching phenomenon, we also experienced a scare this > morning when I noticed that the temp gauge had risen above the light in the > dashboard. I stopped before the light went on and checked the coolant tank > to see what was happening. Sure enough, coolant was coming out the side of > it (but not the top where the cap sits). It did not look as if the tank had > pulled any coolant over from the reserve tank though because the coolant > level in there was where it should be. I made sure the screws that appear to > keep the top half of the tank fastened to the bottom half were secure and > then started driving again, watching the gauge carefully. I also turned on > the heater, as stop-gap measure. As it turns out, the gauge never rose above > the light bulb again and we were able to reach the southeast corner of the > Arizona/Mexico border safely and without losing anymore coolant from the > tank or reserve tank. The only thing I can think of is that I might have > driven out of last night's camping spot in a low gear, pushing the rpms a > bit, but other than that, the car seemed normal until I noticed the temp. > gauge going up a few miles down the highway. We had not driven for more than > 5 miles when this happened but the problem did not come back after we > settled into highway driving at 50 mph with the heater on. > > My rather naive opinion is that these two incidents are not related, and may > not transpire again, assuming we stick to level terrain and I regularly > watch the gauge. Given the fact that some of our next border stories are > going to be shot in some remote, hot and potentially dangerous areas, I > thought I would send these concerns out to the group for feedback however. > > Thanks in advance for your input- > the borderstories team > www.borderstories.org >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/