Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 May 2008 02:15:53 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Buick V6 powered Vanagon

> > My neighbor in NC had a Buick V6 in his Vanagon and it was a pretty clean >> installation. I know the engines are everywhere and pretty low priced. And >> I know Keh has the adapter. The only down side (that I know of) is that it >> sticks up and the engine lid has to be modified. > > Robert > >That would be KEP who has the adapter, right?

KEP indeed.

>The GM 3800 V6 is supposed to be one of "the 10 best engines of the 20th >century"

What planet do they live on? It's a heavy iron boatanchor with pushrods. Not exactly a BAD engine, but low-tech.

>"Matthew Snook" <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM> said: >> My Dad loves those cars. Swears he's getting over 30 mpg all the time - he >> puts in a lot of miles every year. He keeps a lookout and buys them >> whenever there's a good deal, like $800 for the whole car. Gives them to >> whichever of his grandkids is needing a car, or whatever. If the sedan gets >> 30+, what would a Vanagon get? :)

There is only ONE way to know your consumption. Every time you fill the tank, do so to the exact same level and record the odometer and volume. I used to do this for my various bikes, cars & vans. I got 30mpg (imperial) once in my 1970 Crown coupe with Chev 5.4 at an 80mph cruise, but that was a fluke (aided by a Toyota Corona 5-speed and 2.79 diff). There is no way a Buick V6 will get better than lowest 20s, and that's in a car. You cannot "guesstimate" consumption.

Mt 84 Caravelle had a 1990 Holden VL Comodore 3.8 V6 in it when I bought it. Thie engine is NOT a Buick V6, but an Aussie-made redesign. It performed pretty well but sucked gas at best, including highway driving. It was bolted to the 5-speed 094 trans, which had overdriven NZ-made 4th & 5th gears. The trans' front main bearing failed about 4 months after I bought the beast.

>If there's so many of the GM< 3800 Series II around, maybe they >could be used to kill the Subie Vultures that are circling my house >and the 83 Van. I know front a streetrod point of view, I've heard >they're good engines. Sure beats the price for a Subie.

A 3.3 Subie will leave a GM 3.8 for dead (an extra 65hp or so)... -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut ‚ Opinions stated are mine, not those of Otago University "There is water at the bottom of the ocean" - Talking Heads