Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 May 2008 11:43:41 -0700
From:         John Drew <john.p.drew@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Going safe in Mexico.some tips.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net>

Don is absolutely right- border towns are not to be taken lightly. We have been inching our way from Matamoros (Brownsville) to Tijuana (San Diego) over the last month and half and though we have yet to run into any problems we have always been very careful not to park in the wrong places, especially if it involves popping the top. I also believe that the very best security measure you can take in regards to protecting your vehicle is to travel with a large dog. Rocky is our head of security and his responsibility is no small task but he has yet to fail us and we are traveling with over $15,000 of video/computer equipment. None of my westy's windows are secured and I have done nothing to upgrade the car's security features. The best part is that Rocky is totally harmless. To help avoid giving others this impression however, I posted a computer printout of a photo of a rotteweiler, accompanied by words that read "PELIGRO: PERRO DE GUARDIA Y PROTECCION" which loosely translates to: DANGER: THIS IS A GUARD DOG. I knew this would have some impact but its actually had a huge impact. Mexican Federales have on more than one occasion actually passed up searching the van on account of being afraid of Rocky. This all just a long-winded way of saying, if you do have to spend some time along to border, a big dog will be your most important companion. On another note, thanks to all regarding the lurching engine and leaking coolant input. We are going to stay in Douglas until a replacement coolant reservoir arrives, which is fine because there are some interesting border stories developing here. For instance, we are interviewing the head of the "American Border Patrol" today, which is a local civilian militia group that has taken border control into their own hands by launching a multi-pronged approach to stopping the flow of migrants, one of which includes civilian installed web-cameras along the line. Not sure what to expect but we can already sense a palpable chill blowing in the southern AZ wind, which is very distinct from our experience in South Texas. For all of those that are following our adventures (unofficially sponsored by a 1987 Vanagon Westy), you can look for our El Paso/Ciudad Juarez stories to be posted by Tuesday at the latest. Our first border stories from AZ will follow in another week or so.

And to be sure: the vanagon listserve will receive its proper credit when this project is said and done. -the border stories team www.borderstories.org - Show quoted text -