Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 May 2008 00:09:13 -0400
From:         pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Buick V6 powered Vanagon
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

I was referring to the transverse mount arrangement. If you move this to the rear of a vehicle, the majority of the engine will sit in front of the transmission.

The engine spins the "right" way, clockwise like most others except Honda and I think Corvair.

Here's some images from Wikipedia:

So this one would put the GM tranny behind the engine? (engine spins the wrong way I assume):

Image:GM 3800 Series Naturally Aspirated.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/31/GM_3800_Series_Naturally_Aspir ated.jpg

Here's the same engine (so say's Wiki) mounted longitudinally:

Image:Ecotec V6 of a 1997-2000 Holden VT Commodore 02.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Ecotec_V6_of_a_1997-2000_ Holden_VT_Commodore_02.jpg

Neil.

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 7:21 AM, pdooley <psdooley@verizon.net> wrote: > There are 2 GM V6 families I know of, the 60 and 90 degree "V". > > The 90 degree is the 3.8, 3800 and 4.3 Vortec configuration. The 60 degree > is the 3.1 and 3.4L > > I had a Firebird with the 3.4L 60 degree motor and was not very impressed > with power or economy. The 3800 seems to be the best of them all. > > I think the biggest problem fitting one of these motors to the Vanagon would > be the gearing, as these engines prefer to lope along at lower RPM's. > A differential change, taller tires, or a much deeper 3rd and 4th gear is > probably in order. > > I would rather just use the whole motor/trans combo. > And no, trying to fit the entire sub frame into a Vanagon is not the way to > go. The sub frame integrates the lower control arms and suspension into the > mix. You would have to remove the Vanagon control arms and suspension and > fabricate some kind of upper control arm to locate the whole mess. Much > easier in the long run to just weld up hard points where you need them for > motor/trans mounts. > Also, keep in mind that the transverse GM setup would locate the motor ahead > of the transmission, so the factory VW engine access lid would give you a > nice view of the transmission and back half of the motor. > > I think there is still enough clearance under the sheet metal to fit it, but > I would scrap the GM sub frame idea and fab my own engine/tranny support and > get custom drive shafts built with VW outer CV's and GM inners. > > With the factory GM overdrive trans you would get a really smooth and quite > ride with decent economy. > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > > neil N > Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 2:51 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Buick V6 powered Vanagon > > > > Which size V6? > > Or was there only one offered in the Buick line? > > I recall there were 2 (GM) V6's. One was better than the other...... IIRC. > > Neil. > > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Robert Young <rjyoung67@yahoo.com> wrote: > > My neighbor in NC had a Buick V6 in his Vanagon and it was a pretty clean > installation. I know the engines are everywhere and pretty low priced. And > I know Keh has the adapter. The only down side (that I know of) is that it > sticks up and the engine lid has to be modified. > > Robert > > >