Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 May 2008 15:44:25 -0400
From:         pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Operating temperature? (temp gauge needle, etc)

After putting everything back together after my head-job gone wild, everything is great except that the temperature gauge reads warmer than before (yes I bled the system). Before it sat just on the right edge of the LED. Now it sits 3/4 of the way up the gauge, a full half way between the LED and the far right side.

When I was putting everything back together, I cleaned all wires and grounds I encounted and replaced the gauge sensor (along with the TEMP 2 sensor) in the thermostat housing. I believe that my van is running at normal temperature and that the cleaned up wires/new sensor is responsible.

The new sensor is not from a list vendor. I got it on a whim at a FLAPS while picking up some other stuff. It is aftermarket and comes in a red box with the brand name "standard" on the box.

I picked up an infrared temp gun today from autozone ($19.99 !!) and measured hoses/etc. After lots of driving, with the needle at 3/4 the way up the gauge, I get 185-195 at the hose coming out of the thermostat housing, and 200-205 at the crossover pipe that goes from the passenger side head into the thermostat housing, and on the thermostat housing itself. The temperature of the radiator return hose going into the thermostat is much lower, say 120. This seems to me to indicate that the thermostat is mostly closed, which should make sense since it only starts to open at 190. (These temperatures are maximums; also this is a 1.9l where the thermostat housing is bolted to the water pump.) The temperature is very steady making it seem like it is being effectively maintained by the thermostat. If I drive with the heater on full blast, and let everything stabilize, the temperatures are only affected by 5 degrees or so (they end up at the bottom of the ranges rather than the top).

Two questions: 1. Do these temperatures seem okay to people? For as many posts as there are in the archives talking about the use of infrared temperature guns, I couldn't find any which list accept temperature ranges. What do other people find at these points in their 1.9l (with standard thermostats)?

2. If my cooling system is functioning and these numbers are good, what can I do to fix the gauge? If I leave it as is, there is less effective resolution at the hot end of the scale, where it matters. Will the sensor I get from VW or a list vendor be better than the aftermarket one I got? I found some reference in the archives to the fact that VW changed the spec on this sensor, which causes this problem when the new sensors are installed in the old vans. Unfortunately, I can't find my old sensor now... maybe I threw it away. But in any case it was not in great shape. I've heard of people modding the new sensors by adding a resistor. Is this a good solution?

thanks very much! -Wes '83 1.9l westy