Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 May 2008 19:13:32 -0700
From:         Steven P Smith <kewsps@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagons as electric vehicles and other stuff....
Comments: To: mathew Bennett <matsuwesty@EARTHLINK.NET>

Matt, We need to get the lead-acid battery outlawed. Force the production of large quantities of advanced batteries for all cars that would be suitable for EV's. Perhaps we have a chance with the EPA's latest announcement. Steven

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/01/AR2008050103176.html?wpisrc=newsletter Lead, which is emitted by smelters, mining, aviation fuel and waste incinerators, can enter the bloodstream and affect young children's development and IQ, as well as cause cardiovascular, blood pressure and kidney problems in adults. The United States has not changed its atmospheric lead standards in 30 years, but the Bush administration is under a court order to issue new rules by September.

U.S. emissions of lead have dropped from 74,000 tons a year three decades ago to 1,300 tons a year now, largely because leaded gasoline was taken off the market. Since 1990, however, more than 6,000 studies have examined the impact of lead on public health and the environment and have revealed that it has harmful effects at lower concentrations than previously thought.

In a conference call with reporters yesterday, EPA Deputy Administrator Marcus C. Peacock announced that the agency is proposing to cut the current standard of 1.5 micrograms of lead per cubic meter of air to a range of between 0.10 and 0.30 micrograms per cubic meter.

"According to EPA projections, emissions of 60 pounds of lead from a single pollution source could cause a median loss of up to three IQ points in children," Kar said. "Thousands of children across the United States live near lead plants emitting more than 60 pounds of lead every year. In fact, some plants emit tons of lead annually."

The EPA estimates that the proposed rule would apply to 16,000 sources of lead nationwide and, depending on what standard is eventually adopted, between 12 and 23 U.S. counties would fail to meet the stricter standards.

Jeffrey R. Holmstead, who directed the EPA's office of air and radiation from 2001 to 2005 and now heads the environmental strategies group at the law firm Bracewell & Giuliani, said the 60-day comment period on the rule that will start once it is published in the Federal Register "will be even more important than usual."

-------------------------------------------------- From: "mathew Bennett" <matsuwesty@EARTHLINK.NET> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:57 PM To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Vanagons as electric vehicles and other stuff....