Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 May 2008 00:41:27 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagons as electric vehicles and other stuff....
Comments: To: Kim Springer <kimspringer@rcn.com>

Uh Oh..... The cat's out of the bag again i see. Well, let me put down my pair-o-pennies on conservation, solar, and battery vehicles.

First off, Kim is right, the best solution to zero emissions these days is a bicycle. They work....well. I see the problem of conservation to be something that everyone SHOULD actively be pursuing for the simple fact that it saves them money. Anyone can eperiement in conservation without shedding a dime on "Compact Florescent Light Bulbs" and "Low flow shower Heads". These things are great, and should be used, but the first step in conservation, is to TURN IT OFF. That's right. If your in a room with three lights, and your sitting next to one of them reading.....i bet you can do fairly well without the other two being on. Just by flipping those switches, you saved money. Take a shorter shower, or use less hot water (heating costs energy!). And never forget that water is NOT a renewable resource, and is something that should be more concerning to more people.... Once you've taken that first step, and unplugged the unneccessary things, shut off some lights, and used a bit less water on your own, then you will see the improvements made by adding Compact Florescent bulbs and low flow showers. It's something we all SHOULD be doing, because we would all like to live the same, and spend less money!

Assuming everyone did the above mentioned experiment, even just a bit....the results would be astounding. The results from that could alone, almost justify the emissions being put out by driving a car. But wait.... There's more! As Kim said, a savings of 20% could be had to the electrical mains just by conservation. That 20% would not even be fully filled if everyone started driving electric cars, because they tend to be very efficient, or not work. Efficiency is the key to an electric vehicle. If you have a car that sacrifices energy at something like a 70% loss, and you throw in weight and poor aerodynamics....well that's whats going to kill the electric car! Light, sleek, modern electric vehicles have ALOT of potential. The secret again lies in efficiency. The electric motor has in many ways, been figured out. It has been standardized throughout much of the industries, and while there are some great improvements to still be harvested (Brushless vs. Brushed motors for instance), as a whole that game's been decided upon. Since electric vehicles all too often do not use gears and remain in only one, the efficiency of the transmission falls out of the picture. I imagine though that if an electric motor were to have a specifically desired RPM operating range, a transmission would increase it's efficiency exponentially. So what can be improved? Well, there are essentially two other items of importance to an electric vehicle, asside from the physical body and drivetrain. The batteries, and controllers. The controll mechanisms for an electric motor have come a LONG way! They started out as non-linear switches that essentially controlled the flow of current through resistors and direct paths. look at an old RC car for instance, they had a mechanical swing arm that would engage "forward" or "reverse", making a mechanical connection to a series of switches. Some, had two forward switches, one with half the current (so a "slow" speed), and one with full. Now days its all electronic. "Electronic Speed Controls" are MUCH more efficient. They now have so many computers in these things, that they even calculate the most efficient means of acceleration and cruising speed in order to once again, BE EFFICIENT. These advances all lead to more mileage per charge. But the biggest thing, is the batteries. Lead acid Deep cycle batteries are great, but it's old old technology. The sad reality is, no one knows that there is MUCH better stuff out there! Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer battery technologies for instance are at the cutting edge of high volt, high density power packs, PERFECT for the automobile industry. While they do have a few problems (they like to explode, they can't really take a deep discharge), solutions are already in the works. Even modern electric cars that sometimes run on NiMh technology (Nickle Metal Hydrite) are more efficient than the cars of yester year. Again, cost is the problem here, but efficiency is the goal.

With these things in mind, a vanagon is a terrible base vehicle for an electric car. If you said to an engineer "you can pick any vehicle you want to make electric. We're going for maximum range at minimum cost", i promise they wouldn't pick a vanagon! A cheap Porsche 914 with its light weight and slippery aerodynamics would be a much more logical choice.

The best solution is once again, at least for me, a bicycle. Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania has just become the first school in Pennsylvania to have it's students propose (and now are succeeding in passing) an $80K/year "Green Fund" to make the campus more eco-friendly. I find myself at the fore running of this path, as i've been very involved with a program we like to call "the green bikes". We take donated, crappy bikes, and fix them up. Then, they get a coat of green paint, and are released into circulation, to ride at your own risk. So if you leave a building and find a bike, you take it.....ride it to where your headed, and leave it there. No one locks them up, and so far, no one's been abusing it. It's real popular in Europe..... It's FREE transportation to the masses, with Zero emissions, and recycling bicycles in the process! Anyone want a bicycle? I'll give you one. Free pick up in PA.

So whats this all mean? You can make a difference. And if you do, and everyone does, the electric car will become a contender. I never even touched on the efficiencies of Green Building and Solar panels these days.... But i do expect much of the ways we live, will be changing and evolving over the coming years as a response to this problem, and our vanagons will become cars we drive on saturdays, as gas will be $12/gallon and no one will mind (because we'll all have electric cars!)

My soap box is now being passed on to the next ranter.... -Craig '85Gl