Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 May 2008 12:59:09 -0400
From:         Doug Fitz-Randolph <fitzr@SUSCOM-MAINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Parking brake adjustment, '82
Comments: To: Jake Beaulieu <jake_beaulieu@yahoo.com>

Yes, odd, huh? I looked on ETKA and on-line at pictures of the cable, and I think I may have an explanation. On the brake backing plate is an angled 'ferrule' or 'stop', for lack of a better term, that the cable goes through. It appears to slide into place in the backing plate... i.e. you would slide the stop into place, then put the cable through it and attach the end of the cable to the lever on the rear shoe inside the drum.

On mine, the cable ferrule/stops are not seated in the backing plate - they are just pushed up against it when the cable is taut, and loose when it it not. My shoes look to be pretty new... so I surmise that whoever last worked on the brakes pulled the cables all the way out and then for some reason removed the cable stops, and when they reinstalled the cables they slid the stops on the cables rather then seating them in the backing plate then passing the cable through, then finished the brakes. It doesn't look like you can seat the stops with the cable running through them, so I'm guessing they didn't want to disassemble everything again so just left them the way they were. And if it is the guy I think it was, this would have totally been in character for him.

That said, even though the cable stops are not installed correctly, I think my problem might be sticking hardware and/or weak springs. I have a set of springs and hardware which I guess I should just install. I got them from Bus Depot many years ago and never used them - the shoe retaining pins are about 1/4" too short, and the existing pins do not fit through the new retaining pin spring caps, but if I dremel them a little they will. The old caps are totally crusty - one actually popped-off when I moved the shoe.

- Doug