Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 May 2008 06:48:11 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: New AFM, but still rough @ first start
Comments: To: John Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>

John, I was having a similar problem with my 90 Carat. I thought at first it was the coil so I replaced that. Still would sound like it was starting on three cylinders and then smooth out. However the problem kept getting worse. It would stall sometimes and then it started to stall after the van got warm while driving at 50 mph! I put in my digitool ECU and couldn't really see any problems. The stalling continued and I knew that since I replaced the coil and the ECU was also swapped that the only thing left was the hall sensor in the distributor or a wiring issue. Sure enough I swapped in a known good distributor and that fixed the problem. Now it cranks right up, idles smooth and no more stalling. I bought a new hall sensor (from my favorite parts vendor Van-Again :-) and installed that last night. Runs even better than the known good used unit.

I have always thought that the hall sensors fail completely but I guess this is not true. I had been struggling with the van running rough and dying in extremely cold weather as well. I guess I will have to wait until this winter to see if this fixes this problem as well but I think it will. If your van is taking a while to crank up or seems to be starting rough then I would suggest taking a look at the hall sensor. We have these available as a unit alone and then you have to rebuild your own distributor (not that hard) or we have rebuilt distributors from Bosch (look like brand new) with a new hall unit inside.

Let me know if I can help you further, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

John Runberg wrote: > Installed a newly rebuilt AFM this evening and OH MY does the van > drive better. Org unit was not very drivable (no power, > hesitation...) and the "known good" temp unit hesitated just off > idle. Now, it's SOOOOO much better - best $350 I've spent in awhile. > > But (and there's always a but) she still seems to run rough when > first started, warm or cold outside. Rev a few times and it settles > down into a normal lope (not perfect, but much better). To recap, > we've done cap/wires/plugs/rotor, found and fixed a nicked ground > wire to the dizzy, found and fixed two loose vacuum connections and > all grounds look shiny and good. > > Next plan is to test the vacuum pressure and check the timing. Also > need to lube the dizzy (exactly what am I lubing in there?). Ideas? > > john >