Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 May 2008 13:46:24 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What could have gone wrong? - hey, sorry it's long
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>

Hey there, Havn't been following too much lately, but it shounds like there is mysterious and inconsistent overheating or 'running very hot' or 'unbleeding' going on perhaps.' I would like to share how I precede............, say I was giving the van to work on with this weird inconsisent coolnig system issue. And I'll assume that it just doesn't' work like it should, and it's not an obvious blown hose or stuck closed t-stat etc.

To be clear, it should run up to a decent temp, heaters should work fine, the pressure bottle should stay full, and the overflow bottle should stay around half full or so. No gurgling, no inconsitent heater performance, etc. About flashing coolant level LED's - I don't' trust them much. I have seen the pressure bottle just fine and full of coolant, yet a flahsing low lever indiction.

What I *always do* in all cases of all diagnosis of any problems.........it take as much out of the picture as you can, to keep getting to the basics, and try to get the basic system working. One of those, in my world, is jumper the leads to the level sensor with a resistor. That will keep that light off -( unless it's a dash or electrical problem ) - I just like it out of the picture, temporarily, untl things are sorted though.

Next.......and first usually - you work on external coolant leaks. You MUST have a pressure tester, and any cooling system should be able to hold 14 psi or so for an hour, roughtly. With no external leaks. ( you can do this with injectors removed, checking for a coolant leak into the combustion chambers, though I've seldom found that )

Next, if no external leaks, you start thinking about thermostat, whether the radiator is removing heat properly, the water pump is turning at suffecient speed and has the correct impeller on it, and it's turning. I'll assume 'this problem' is more than a straightforward 'normal; cooling system issues.

btw, 'just running very warm' ...........that falls under things like tired ratiotor. 'inconsistent running, and air in coolant issues........that's the one you hope you don't have. Often it's head gasket, or cracked head, and exahust getting into the cooling system. What usually happens is the exhaust displaces the coolant in the engine relatively easily ...........and you've got overheating. And when you check it out - it appears as hot engine, not too hot radiator, exactly like the main piples where clogged.

I have driven a vanagon with this syndrome, exhasut getting into the coolant, where I had to stop, cool off, re-bleed the system, like once every 40 minutes or so, to be able to sustain running without really overheating badly. The syndrome can be inermittant. Stop leaks may help some, but the pressure in the combustion chamber is like 2,000 psi, not sometihg that a stop leak additive can help with much.

Bleeding, yup, it's gotta be basically bled. But it unbleeds itself, or you need to bleed it 20 times, you start thinking about exhaust gases getting into the engine at the head gaket, or head itself. Sometimes you can see bubbles coming out of the top hose where it goes to the pressure bottle - if you see that, it's remove the head time, period, no way around it. It's a common failure btw.

'in the old days'.......coolant in the oil was a sign of a bad head gasket. 'milky oil' Somehow on modern engines that almost never happens, I've seen honda's with totally blown head gaskets, the oil is fine, and many other types of engine. Another traditional sign was use of coolant. It gets burned in the combustion champer and dissapprears. Sometimes the tail pipe obviously smells like coolant, or there is white smoke. If you get that, it's like a blown head gasket or head broblem. That one you can pressure test for some - either standard pressure tester, or leak down test, or even compression test. 'sometimes.'

But the 'weird one' and quite common - it runs inconsistenlty, you need to bleed it a lot, nothing makes sense. It's almost always exhaust gettting into the coolant. A deffiniteve test for that is have the air space above the coolant in the pressure bottle sniffed by a snog probe for excessive hydro-carbons. You got that, you got the 'exhasut into the coolant heebie geebies.' Another on is you buy a 'cracked block' test system, an additive that turns yellow in the pressece of exhaust, and you sort of draw coolant up into the deice where you can see it.

Oh yes, I see constantly where 'regular joes' at with there vanagons are blocked due to lack of a few certain test tools. You really can not get anywhere with out a pressure tester of some sort, even a home made one.

You MUST have a Remote Starter Switch, and a compression guage.

A couple of other 'rules' You can not operate a vw diesel without something for a thermostat in it. It's a two door thing, allows 'flow around' when t-stat is cold between engine and water pump housing. After it warms up, it blocks that circuit and opens the main circuit. You MUST have a half decent termsosat, to be able to run at all correctly. You want to run at 185 degrees F or so, even up to 195. If you have a weak one that only runs at 170 - and everything else is OK, It'll run too cool and that's all.

Its fine to bypass the heater circuit at the engine to take that out of the system for a while - say you suspect air getting in at a heater core. Oh - the pressure caps - the VW vanagon style pressure caps are not really reliable. You should have 3 perhaps. Sometime that'll be the only real reason coolant comes out.

Any smells of coolant anywhere - front heater core, rear heater core, tail pipe, in the cylinders when you pull the injectors - all bad signs and you can't have a really working cooling system with any of those going on. They have to be fixed or bypassed or taken out of the circuit. Any sign of coolant in a combustion champer or the exhaust system - pull the head.

I think that's it. Bottom line though .......if the head gasket and head are ok, the other parts of the cooling system are at least working.....and it's even 'sorta bled' it should work. There's a lot of leeway in it. Yes, absolutely 99.9999 % perfectly bled is what is really correct. However, if everything else is fine, it can be 95 % bled and do just fine. I don't consider bleeding that crytical at all, do it a time or two, that should be it.

What I see people 'not having' is a proper procedural order, for one thing, seriously that, and lack of a few bacic important test tools.

If I do give a 3 day 'waterboxer correct running and diangositics for no starts and imporper running'seminar for vanagon owners hands on with their own vanaongs............ there will be a guy standing at the gate, and if you don't show him your Remote Starter Switch in your dirty little hands, you don't get admitted. I'm dead serious. It is that useful a tool. Right after a screw driver.

I use that tool abuot FIRST on just anything. I wouldn't dream of starting a van from the key unless it was fully 'out on the road and done.' - i.e. in 'road mode' and no form of 'repair and diagnosis mode.' I can not emphacize enough, the value of that one tool. I just never work on a vanagon engine without using one, period. What you can bypass and take out of the picture, and what you can see and do while using it, is just fantastic.

Be clever too ! Scott www.turbovans.com

dear dennis thanks for the input ... but no entry of coolant into oil system at all... i went over entire engine several times since the last bleed off and yes my California Model 5 speed diesel does have a buzzer for coolant ... the trigger/sensor is located in combination with t valve off block ... sensor/trigger in main reservoir on starboard side of engine compartment .. there is another coolant mover located in the forward area topside of engine compartment ... it is likely for the under the seat bus heater in rear or it is a supplementary pump .. scott remarked on that item when i was there but i dont recall what he said today and i was too focused on other items so i dont even think the message he spoke got logged ... oh well next time i am up on the hoist i will follow that to its source and end ...

again thanks dennis ... by the way my oil buzzer did go off once with the 1.6 .. that scared the willies outta me .. my over heat buzzer sounds a little different ... ;o) yours

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The buzzer is for the oil pressure, not coolant. There is no coolant > buzzer. The oil pressure probably dropped due to the extended highway > run time combined with an over filled crankcase and/or wrong viscosity

> oil. > > If the oil pressure buzzer was coming on due to a coolant system > problem, you had some serious overheating going on there. Since you > whent some 7 hours before the cooling system problem developed, there > was not a problem with how the system was bleed. More likely something

> [...]

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.8/1415 - Release Date: 5/5/2008 6:01 AM