Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 May 2008 17:28:51 -0400
From:         Doug Fitz-Randolph <fitzr@SUSCOM-MAINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Parking brake adjustment, '82

Problem solved. What was causing the right parking brake to stick on? I am 95% sure it was the upper springs. The new ones were an order of magnitude stronger than the old ones. The parking brake lever inside the drum was a bit tight, and I worked it a bit to free it up, then lubricated with graphite, but I things the spring replacement was primarily responsible for solving the problem.

Thanks to all who responded! I have finally overcome my irrational fear of drum brakes.

Doug Fitz-Randolph Freeport, ME

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Fitz-Randolph [mailto:fitzr@suscom-maine.net] Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:30 PM To: 'vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com' Subject: Parking brake adjustment, '82

I'm having a bit of trouble with adjusting the parking brake on my '82. If has not worked properly since I got the van last year.

What happens is this: I go through adjusting the brakes - loosen adjuster wheel, pull off drums, adjust adjuster wheel, reinstall. At this point the parking brake cables are both seated against the backing plates. After I put the wheels back on, they turn freely. I set the brake and the wheels do not turn. Then I release the brake - the left wheel again turns freely, but the right one doesn't. If I look at the cable on the right, it's "hanging out" of the backing plate, that is, the "spring" part which usually lives inside the drum is now protruding by about 1/2" and flops freely. If I remove the drum, I can see that the lever the cable pulls is still in the "engaged" position. If I pry it back to its "disengaged" position, the cable is again taut and flush against the backing plate. All the springs seem to be in place, and I've readjusted and reassembled everything several times with the same result.

I'm not much of an expert on drum brakes - I've somehow managed to avoid working on them all my life - so I am sure I am missing something simple. Do the brake cables need to be securely attached to the backing plate? The look like they should, but I can't seem to see how to get them to stay put - that is, when I engage the brake, the spring portion of the cable pulls out through the backing plate a bit. Now that I am typing this, that seems like it might be the problem. Or... the springs ought to cause the parking brake lever in the drum to return to the disengaged position, right? Is my lever stuck or are my springs perhaps worn-out? If anyone have been through this or can refer me to a good source of info, it would be much appreciated. I am almost tempted to just take the van to a mechanic. (Nooo - not a mechanic! Are you mad?)

Thanks, Doug Freeport, ME