Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 May 2008 11:54:02 -0400
From:         Doug Fitz-Randolph <fitzr@SUSCOM-MAINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Parking brake adjustment, '82
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Hi Dennis,

>If the parking brake lever is pushing on the adjuster bar from not following >my adjustment instructions, the adjuster will not work properly and adjust >for wear as it should. I still think you have bad cables.

I did try to do what you said first - that is, I adjusted the cable with the drums off - but I had not yet set the position of the shoes yet... so when I put the drum back on, the parking brake had no effect. I pumped the brakes a couple of times, but even after that, I was able to remove the drum easily without backing off on the adjuster, so the shoes had not expanded far enough. Maybe if I had kept pumping the would have, but I had to turn the adjuster wheel at least two full revolutions to set the shoes in the right position - so they were way off. After that, I just adjusted the cables until they did not impede the free rotation of the wheel when the brake was off, and stopped it when the brake was on. I did that with the drum on.

My cables both slide freely, but, again, the angled ferrule that is the rear cable stop is just held against the backing plate by the tension of the cable. On the other two vanagons I looked at for comparison, the angled ferrule seems like it is snapped right into the oval hole in the backing plate... and for the life of me I cannot see how I could get that to happen.

I'm not dis'ing drum brakes :) It's just that disc brakes always seemed a lot less mysterious - more like bicycle brakes - and any drum brakes I'd ever tried to mess with were a rusty mess!

- Doug