Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 May 2008 12:00:38 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bend, Or and vanagons Not much van content
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

Just want to say the I-5 corridor in Oregon is not 'all that bad.' Depends on where and when of course - you DO NOT want to be on I-5 in Portland on any weekday afternoon, starting about 2:30, and some weekend times. That can be 'LA" for sure. The rest of the time, off commute hours and weekend traffic hours, not bad. The rest of I-5 in Oregon - not a problem ever. Seattle - won't even talk about that - lol ! When I lived there a few years ago ( Port Townsend, Wa ) Seattle was stated has having the 6th worst traffic among cities in the nation. As for Bend -yes, shame that 'ParkWay' wasn't made into a real Freeway Bypass. I think they want to keep the 'park' nature of the town too badly. It's still a ..........'used to be a Podunk town on a two lane hwy' that has now grown to 8 times what it was, say 15 years ago. They have this thing about Traffic Circles too - now you encounter them every now and then, on the west side of town ........their idea of 'euro traffic safety' or something. It does keep everyone moving with stop signs or traffic lights I suppose. Also just keeps you from driving on a straight street unrestricted, or delayed. Sort of makes everyone suffer equally, whether driving through on a main street, or entering from side streets. Statistically they probably show fewer fender bender intersection type accidents. It's gorgeous over there of course, absolutely spectacular. Drive up Pilot Butte sometime. On a clear day you can see half the Oregon Cascades right in front of you. It's high desert, cold and dry in the winter, hot in summer. The nearby Mt Bachelor ski area and all that forest area is endless winter recreation, and summer back packing. Three Sisters Wilderness, etc. About as good as it gets. Real ice mountaineering even, like on North sister. Bend constantly makes it onto lists of 'Ten Coolest cities in the US' in magazines like Outside. Scott Rogue Valley , OR - Medford/Ashland. 3.5 hours from Bend.