Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 May 2008 12:24:22 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rear External Fridge Fan
Comments: To: Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>

The fridge rear fan is intended to cycle on and off as needed. There is a temp switch high on the fins and when those fins get too hot the temp switch triggers and turns on the fan. After a while the fins get cool enough to turn the fan off again. If your fan runs constantly then it is likely inadequate or the temp switch has a problem. If it cycles as intended I don't know what you would gain by adding fan capacity.

Mark

Harold Teer wrote: > I need some collective advice concerning replacing the fan on the rear of > the fridge. The fan on the rear works, but I decided to upgrade it in order > to move more air. After reading the archives, I went with the suggestion to > go with one that moves more air and is quieter than the one Go-Westy sells. > I ordered the Silenx IXP-76-18 from Newegg.com and it should arrive today. > If you are interested in the specs, go to: " > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226013" > > I am about to remove the fridge and clean it this weekend. My question is, > Should I replace the original fan with this one, or should I just add this > one as an auxiliary fan? Pros and cons that I see are that the original fan > is a little noisy--not worn out and making noise, just naturally noisy. So, > if I replace with the new one, I will have more air movement with less > noise. If I just add this one to the setup, I will have the same noise as > before but two fans might help cool the fins on the back a little better. > Although there is limited area for the air flow so two fans might not make a > difference. Right now, I am not interested in making a modification to the > external water hookup so that route is not an option. > > What do you think? Should I just replace the old fan with the new one? > Has anyone added a fan to supplement the original one? > > Harold > -- > Harold & Faye Teer > 1991 Westy > Harrisonburg, VA >