Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 May 2008 21:26:36 -0400
From:         BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replacing the master cylinder

He's capable of doing the job but for some reason he is convinced (without seeing the van) that he recalls the dash needing to come out. Once he realizes it doesn't then he'll be fine. From what I hear though I may be able to swap this thing out myself since he has my wife's Audi at the moment and my EV has to go in because the brake pad light is on.

The symptoms are the pedal is going to the floor after driving for awhile. The brakes were bled a month ago with no change. Pumping the pedal makes no difference. Not 100% it needs a master cylinder but being that it's 25 years old and they are only $80 we might as well get that out of the equation.

Thanks, Bryan

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com] Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 9:19 PM To: 'BJ Feddish'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Replacing the master cylinder

Not to sound too nasty here but if you are bringing a vehicle to a professional mechanic for work, especially brake work, that shop should have the following:

Some experience with the vehicle The Alldata, Mitchell, or some other program to do a fair estimate and get some instructions.

Mitchell book says 2.6 hours, deduct .4 if doing with any other brake combination. Includes bleeding.

I also think this is on the high side.

Are you sure it needs the master? What are the symptoms?

Dennis