Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 May 2008 19:33:42 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Icons, emblems, symbols - personalized for your Vanagon
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

Some thoughts.

How about stainless for the material?

Can that be cast?

Would it be possible to incorporate or build it in a way so it would attach firmly (for lack of a better term) to the Vanagon so's not to get easily ripped off?

I'll have to google St. Christopher.

A simple symbol/logo of some kind would be nice. Subtle but visible. Something a Vanagon owner understands/respects.

That would be cool. Then we could be a *really* exclusive group. Just like Dr. Seuss and his "Star Bellied Sneetches" ......... "with stars upon thar's" --- :^)

(kidding about the last part....... someones gotten into the Becks --- ;^)

Neil.

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: > Well, could be, but that is not what I had in mind. > > There are two ways to go on this. > > One - we do the group thing. Have a contest or something, the way it was > done to develop the list sticker, to come up with a single one size fits > all type of design. Something that would clearly say to the world - "We > are the Vanagoneers" sort of thing - a badge of honor so to speak - > something that would mark our vans as being members of a really > exclusive group of folks. Unca Joel mentioned some sort of St. > Christopher thing with mileage on it. it as a possibility, and maybe > that should be one of several options to be exercised. But for the > moment, what I have in mind is something that will be appropriate for > the Newbies as well as the Old Timers. The St Christopher thing will be > great for that exclusive group that achieve the mileage required. But > not everyone will ever go there. > > Two - this would be in the realm of custom jewelry - for lack of a > better word. This would be something that each person would have made as > a unique signature for their van. No two would be alike. > > Third - we have the capacity to make a custom piece of jewelry or other > personal adornment that expresses sentiments for the Vanagon and the > lifestyle. > > The first one we could work up as a group purchase kind of thing. The > other two would be highly personalized, so it would be up to the > individual to work their on deal. Price on these kinds of things vary > considerably depending on the complexity and the materials involved - > like gold now is like $1000/ troy ounce. Haven't checked silver lately, > but it's not exactly cheap. Other metals are possible. But usually gold > or silver is preferred for personal items. So on these kinds of things > price varies. but we can pin it down on a group thing for item one > above where only a single object is reproduced multiple times. > > Everybody give this some thought, discuss it on the list, shoot at it, > see if the idea floats or sinks. I will read the posts, but your direct > responses are appreciated too. > > Lets see where this goes. > > Regards, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > Robert Fisher wrote: >> >> I see your future, making this stuff and driving around to bus gatherings >> to >> sell it. You'd have to get a Westy so you could live on the road, tho. : ) >> >> Cya, >> Robert >> >> >> On 5/9/08, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: >> >>> I saw a Mercedes go by the other day and it had as a hood ornament a >>> "Rod of Hermes" or Caduceus by another name, mounted in a circle. It >>> brought to mind a question, >>> >>> Would there be any interest in such personalized symbols for our >>> Vanagons? Would there be any interest in one symbol for the entire group >>> of Vanagoneers on this list? Sort of like the list stickers - except >>> these will be metal. Everyone would have the same thing. Or, as asked >>> before, would there be interest in the "one-off, one of a kind, this is >>> me" sort of emblems. >>> >>> Or how about personalized jewelry that speaks to our lifestyle around >>> the Vans - some nice jewelry - not cheap foreign made junk. I have >>> access to burnout ovens, casting machines, smelters (small for melting >>> bronze, gold, silver), tumblers, buffers and a jewelers bench full of >>> engraving tools.It would even be possible to come up with something that >>> could really speak loudly about Vanagons, Vanagoneers, and the life >>> style - a jewel encrusted icon of some sort. We would just have to think >>> about it. >>> >>> Anyway, just curious, exploring ideas. >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> Regards, >>> >>> John Rodgers >>> 88 GL Driver >>> >>> >> >> >> >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/