Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 May 2008 22:14:03 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Home Ethanol Production
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>

We have two energy problems - mobile and stationary....... more of less. The transportation of our civilization must be fueled, and so must the immobile components of our civilization. The mobile components are going to be the most problematic, but maybe the synthetic fuel thing will finally arrive on the scene.

As for the stationary components there will be many ways of producing and supplying energy. Carter installed solar panels on the White House - to point the way and demonstrate his commitment to energy conservation and solar power, and Reagan in his disdain for Carter and all his programs, had them torn off. I can't say enough nasties about that kind of mentality. - and it still plagues us today. We should have had the roof tops of almost every building in the country covered with solar panels by now, and most especially Government buildings. generating energy and reducing the need for fossil and atomic fuels for 28 years now, but the infinite wisdom of a president following Carter negated all that entirely. We are behind 28 years, and now we are beginning to hurt. But, it can still be done, with aggressive legislation to provide incentive and back up the effort. - We are faced with major changes in our life styles, and there are going to be a lot of aches and pains in the process.

Atomic energy is another log term source we need to develop. Improvements in technology has made this much more meaningful for today than yester day, ergo greater feasibility of having many modern plants to produce electrical power without the problems of the past.

I think we can master these problems, but we must be have the right outlook to do it. Example: big debate about global warming. Why is is happening? Some say it is because of greenhouse gases, others say that has nothing to do with it, we are just going through a cycle. Cycle, schmycle - who cares? The point is to be good stewards to our planet and do everything we can to help it - cycle or not. After all, this is the only planet we have to live on. Screw it up, and it will be the end of all of us.Some people don't really give a "............." ( you fill in the blank!!)

It will take every person taking personal responsibility to do what they can, and quit just because some jerk person or other country is not doing it's part. That negativity gets us nowhere.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Robert Fisher wrote: > It's an interesting idea. The more I read about the oil/energy issue as a > whole the more support I see for the idea that 'our' (the US/Western > world's) dependancy on oil is not going to be reduced so much by an one > magic bullet but by people converting their usage to several alternative > sources. That guy goes to bio-diesel, that woman switches to a bike, another > woman gets some kind of hybrid, some other dude buys one of these things. > The 4-to-1 water to ethanol ratio is a huge obstacle, but if you could > efficiently capture and use grey water (granted that may be a big 'if'), > then you would be fine, I think. Look at your water bill for your daily > usage and consider how much of that is possibly re-usable. Just finding a > place to set it up would be an issue for urban environments and apartment > dwellers and such. I wonder if if can be scaled larger, and how much? > Then you'd have zoning issues, fire code compliance, keeping the > neighborhood kids and drunks away from it... > Still... (no pun intended). : ) > > http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/make-your-own-e.html > > Cya, > Robert > > >