Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 May 2008 12:10:05 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing the master cylider
Comments: To: Zoltan Kuthy <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

Yes, The basic job is very simple. Getting ALL the details perfect, and addressing whatever else the brake system may need, from booster to rear shoes and cylinders, to hoses, to bleeding properly and thoroughly, , to front calipers not having frozen pistons......etc. - is 'more' - Can be far more than just slapping in a new MC and bleeding the brakes. The van is what ? - 20 + years old, right ? Actually, after 25 years or so, ANY original part, in almost any system, is suspect, or very worthy of careful consideration. I have never see a bad pressure limiting valve however, regardless of age, but EACH part needs to be considered, especially in a critical system like brakes.

Especially for someone who has not done it before ..........getting it really right can be a big taks. There can be a LOT to getting it fully, completely, and really right.

People tend to think that in a system of say 20 parts, all is fine but just one part is shot. Not how it usually is. There is a whole train of 20 parts, all at some point through their life.........all of them are 60 % tired say, those that havn't been replaced. Expecting that the one dead part , say the MC, is going to transform the entire system of 20 parts, all of which are somewhat tired, and some even shot ( like rear cylinders and shoes, for example ) ........ Expecting that 'all is perfect' except the one finally died part .........is unrealistic, if not foolish even. The whole system wears together gradually. The parts that fail the soonest are rear wheel cylinders usually. Heck, even if they are just barely starting to leak......changing the brake fluid, emptying out the brake dust, tweaking up the rear adjusters a tab perhaps......even just 'psychic healing' like this can keep the system working until you can plan a full and proper rear brake job, and bleed ALL brakes, including clutch hydraulic circuit - it's the same Reservoir after all.

If I so much as look at or touch any brake - I bleed fresh brake fluid to that brake at least. Brake fluid is supposed changed every two years. It is often not done, and often NEVER done. It is entirely incorrect, and will COST YOU MORE if you just operate any system until you can tell something is not right. Bleeding in new high quality brake fluid to all 4 wheels and the clutch hydraulic circuit once a year would not cost much at all, and would be just wonderful for the van.

In fact ......if you do that, stay up on how the front pads are, check for stuck front pistons, make sure the rear cylinders aren't leaking, and the shoes are in good shape there - make sure the adjuster system is keeping the shoes where they belong ......... If you did that, the brakes are good for years easily, with no real wear other than brake friction material.

But the very worst think you can do for ANY system on a car is operate it until you can tell something isn't right. By they you have wear in almost all the components of the system. 'IT all adds up." Proactive maintanece is about 10 times less expensive than repair.

I guess they don't teach this - in high school or wherever. But believe me, operating say CV joints until 'something doesn't sound right' ..........just costs you more, and might strand you somewhere too, Or injure you or your van in the case of brakes or steering systems.

Not sorry to lecture, well sorry some, but I think there needs to be a lot more awareness of how to take care of these babies. They are VERY worthy of taking care of. Vanagons are unique, have tons of life left in them, super useful and lovable, and damn good vehicles overall.

We're even lucky we get to drive them. The way state governments are passing whatever they hell laws they want - we will be lucky if we are not forced to drive cars less than 10 years old - if you knew what some states are doing in their road and car laws, and their laws about impounding cars, or extreme moving violation fines.........it would frighten you. I study it full time, and it's Big Brother descending, badly.

I expect we'll mostly be able to keep using our babies a while yet. AND .....even if gas is horribly expensive, a Westy or other type of camper vanagon is a fantastic thing, just being used for that purpose, don't even have to put many miles on it to enjoy the heck out of it.

So please, for your money, your safety, and the safety of others on the road, and to preserve our deeply loved Vanagons, take care of them proactively ! It's REALLY very easy to do, when you know how. It's child's play, it's that easy, when you know how. Doesn't even take a huge amount of equipment or anything. Many knowledge and experience too, that always helps, and you get that by working on your vanagon.

Thanks, Scott www.turbovans.com