Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 May 2008 18:19:46 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC Good Subaru forum?
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

On the Vw engine to Subaru trans adapter - I doubt it.

What they do, their 'Thing', is make adapters, flywheel, and clutches to fit VW transaxles, and related ones like Porsche. For almost any engine too.

Must have hundreds of applications. Chevy V-8 in a Porsche - no big deal at all. Mazda rotary engine, yes, and on and on.

Putting a waterboxer into a Subaru car is going quite backwards, But then if it's the only way you can make the car move with what you've got .....sure. But really, that would be like putting a common Ford engine into a Ferrari.

Just saw a Soobie 2.2 conversation that I did a few years ago. The guy lives on Maui so he doesn't get over to drive it much. Runs like I finished the job yesterday. A Subaru legacy 2.2 engine - just incredibly stable in how it stays running like it should, - once dialed in properly, and with really good conversion work, it will stay that way - , starts instantly, idles smoothly, goes like stink ( compared to a waterboxer ) for a long time usually.

The thing is like a refrigerator - it just works, and never seems different in any way. So stable it's boring , but oh how nice !! And as an engine they just RIP right up through the rpm band - and that's the lower end of the scale of Subaru conversions too. Just an awesome engine.

So smooth at idle - if it wasn't for a bit of Power Steering pump whine, you couldn't' tell it's running without looking at the tach. They are that smooth. And they look like they belong in there too.

Scott www.turbovans.com