Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2008 19:03:48 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Axle Bearing Kits
Comments: To: Pascal.Giasson@gnb.ca

In a message dated 12/05/2008 1:11:01 P.M. Central Standard Time, Pascal.Giasson@gnb.ca writes:

I just recently took my '84 Westy in for it's annual motor vehicle inspection to Canadian Tire. They rejected it because they said all my wheel bearings were loose. I tried re-torquing the rear ones but it did not remove the very slight wiggle when pushing/pulling the wheels at 12 and 6. They do not wiggle at all when grabbing at 3 and 9. I adjusted the front ones that have maybe 20K on them and they have about the same amount of wiggle as the rear wheels when rocking them at 12 and 6.

Is this normal? Should I take it back and tell them this is normal for Vanagons and see what they say? Or are my bearings/spacers in need of replacement?

Pascal, sorry for the previous unfinished message - slip of the fingers. The test I use is this. I first loosen the axle nut then using anti-seize on the threads I reinstall the nut to the recomended 360 ft. lb torque, then if there is more than 1/4" rock when moved using the 12 and 6 placement to rock the wheel bearings need replacement and the spacer need to be measured. The final tightening to 360 ft. lbs. must be done with the wheels on the ground. See the Bentley manual for details. There is no adjustment possible of the rear wheel bearing like there is of the front wheel bearings. The spacer, the condition of the axle and the torque of the axle nut determines the amount of play.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June12 ~ 15, 2008