Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2008 21:37:38 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      New to van ownership?..do the fuel lines..

By all means, do those fuel lines ASAP! I'd not paid any attention to that or perhaps missed the warnings. I'd owned my van for about 4 months when on a trip into town, I began smelling gas. I was following a beater Camaro and thought.."boy, is that guy's car running rich!" but then I noticed my gas gauge was visibly sinking as I drove! In a few miles, I went from 1/4 tank to almost empty...and it dawned on me!! Wow, I was spewing gas out as I drove... So, rather than just stop and jump out...(I've seen racecars burst into flames as they stopped and the fuel leaks 'caught up') I planned it out and stopped at a very wide downhill that I knew of, after reviewing where exactly I was going to look, where my extinguisher was, what I was going to try to save in case a fireball happened (I had my $5k race bicycle inside) etc etc... So, when I pulled into the wide spot and leaned out, looking back under the van...yep! A huge puddle of gas under the motor and more pouring out as the motor ran. I shut it off quickly (as I'd planned to do), the flow quit and I jumped out and rolled the van off the puddle to try (successfully) to keep it from igniting... One of the old braided (original, I bet) fuel lines had split... I rode my bike into the FLAPS and got about 20' of fuel injection hose and replaced them all right there..Took a few hours, but the whole time I was telling myself how lucky I'd been...Sheesh! I also have just found a billet fuel rail to replace my plastic one..that will be done very quickly now as well. (My van has a Rabbit motor, with many aftermarket parts available) Don Hanson