Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 May 2008 14:43:39 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: transplant a 2.1 into an 84? worth it?
Comments: To: Brendan Slevin <totorovan@GMAIL.COM>

As we speak, I'm preparing a rebuilt Boston Bob 2.1 to go into my '85 Westy.

There are several ways to go when putting in a 2.1.

One is to use your 1.9 throttle body, AFM, and air filter but with a 2.1 plenum and intake runners. The reason for the 2.1 plenum is that the attachment at the front (flywheel end) on a 2.1 case is a bit different from the 1.9 case. You actually could use your '84's plenum and intake runners but you'd have to reshape the aforementioned bracket on the plenum. If you use 2.1 intake runners, they won't have the two studs on the driver's side for attaching that heater pipe that runs across the top of the engine. You can cut the center section out of the attachment bracket (between the two holes for the studs) and use hose clamps to run around the runners and each leg of the bracket.

You will use your 1.9's vacuum type distributor on the 2.1 engine which means you'll also use the 1.9 ECU and wiring.

You'll use the 1.9 cooling system so you'll have to remove the oil cooler and extension that's between the oil filter and the case. It would get in the way of the 1.9 exhaust system anyway.

I'm doing mine a bit differently ...

I'm going to use a 2.1 throttle body, Plenum, and intake runners. I'll also use a 2.1 AFM, air filter box and snorkel. I'll be using the 1.9 distributor and wiring but I'm putting in a Euro 2.1 "Digijet" ECU (performance ECU).

Now, a stock 2.1 will give you about a 10 to 15 horse power gain and about 12 more ft/lbs of torque.

If the 2.1 engine is OEM then the rod bolts are the stretch type and tend to make the rod big ends go oval over time. The end result is lower oil pressure and possibly a thrown rod. I'm "Told" that this isn't something one would normally worry about until you've gone over 120,000 miles. I've seen posts on this list, though, where 2.1s have gone well over 200,000 miles without having the lower ends rebuilt. Boston Bob, BTW, uses different rod bolts in his rebuilt 2.1 engines which should eliminate that problem.

Mike Houlton, Maine

Brendan Slevin wrote: > What do you all think about putting a 2.1 in an 84 1.9? Would it be worth > it if it ran well and used less oil than my 1.9? I don't plan on rebuilding > it, just resealing the heads and installing it. What are some things to > look out for? I would need the computer/harness yeah? What else? Thanks! > > Brendan > 84 GL Totoro > Bend, Oregon >