Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 May 2008 20:12:47 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear External Fridge Fan
Comments: To: Dvdclarksn@aol.com

I would not recommend drilling a hole in the floor. Who needs more water and dust in the van? It's not going to help the rust situation either. My fridge has been out several times to do some mods, cleaning, resealing, testing and experimenting in an attempt to get the LP mode work right. I've done most of what Roger Sisler has suggested on his website < http://www.flickr.com/photos/werksforwagens/sets/72157594499353583> In addition, I even cut the back off of the city water inlet and installed a muffin fan to vent hot air from behind the fridge. It did get some warm air out of that area, but did little to bring the temps down. I found that some water had gotten inside after washing the van, so I took the fan out and sealed it back up.

Replacing the old fan with the GoWesty fan will help. I put a similar fan on mine. Also wired an internal fan on the evaporator for even temps inside.

So, the fridge is on the bench again for more tweaking and here is what's happening. I turned the unit upside down over night to mix up the amonia/hydrogen and tapped with mallet. Heated with a heat gun. Dipped the jet in acid and checked pressure with a home brew manometer. 11 inches on the mark. Resealed the burn chamber with high-temp silicone. After an initial cooling in the AC mode (24F the next morn), I switched to LP. Temps inched up to mid 40's during the afternoon heat (76F in the garage). Later on, the temps went down a few degrees, so I turned the thermostat down until the flame kicked down to low. Now it's holding at 43F. Fridge is empty, ambient temp is 75F.

A while back, I used a needle to clean the jet and found out later that the manual says not to do that. Oops! So I still want to try a known-to-be-good jet to see if it makes a difference. Maybe the flame is too big because the orifice is a tiny bit larger than spec.

I know some of you think I'm nuts doing all of this to a fridge that may never work as well as a compressor fridge, but I am not quite ready to shell out the $700-1200 for a Vitrigo, Isotherm, Norcold or Engel.

Keith O