Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 2008 09:12:44 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Safety Tips (now for pumping gas!)
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>

Mythbusters is not the be-all, end-all of every fact in the world. The fact is that re-entering your vehicle after starting to pump gas and then putting you hand back onto the gas nozzle is what causes static-initiated gas pump fires. That nice, Vanagon velour seat upholstery gives you static charge, then the first piece of metal that you touch gets a zap. If that's the gas pump handle, the built-up concentration of flammable fuel vapors WILL ignite with this spark. Also, cell phones may not be the source of static electricity, but they are an electrical device. The battery and any switches on it can create a spark. How many times have you dropped a phone and had the battery pop out? Any electrical device that is "intrinsically safe for use in an explosive environment' will be clearly labelled as such, by law. When refueling KC-135's in the U.S. Air Force, we had to ground both the aircraft and the refueling vehicle or pit cart to an approved, tested earth ground spot, the aircraft and the refueling unit to each other, and we had to each physically touch an earth ground spot before beginning any transfer of fuel. We also had to use intercom headsets and mobile 2-way radios that were labelled as "intrinsically safe for use in an explosive environment." All unnecessary personnel were not allowed in the refuel area, and orange traffic cones were placed at the four outer points, to announce the location of this area to outsiders. A non-chalant, unsafe, ignorant or uncaring attitude may cause you or a loved one some unnecessary grief. The local and/or state fire marshall has the final say over whether you can use any electrical equipment while at a gas pump. You can be cited, if observed breaking this important law.

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike S" <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:04 AM Subject: Re: Safety Tips for Women