Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 2008 07:22:25 -0700
From:         Mike Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Well, selling the 71 bus
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

Beth, the child formerly known as Nocturna, has successfully navigated the treacherous currents and rocky shoals of girl adolescence and has emerged from her cocoon with mixed metaphors in both hands and stands before us now a confident and cheerful young woman. Bat-girl no more, she is getting great grades in school, has a circle of equally geeky bright girlfriends, and these days is mainly concentrating on putting together the final details of her prom ensemble.

Once we're in Bend, Beth will attend the local community college and watch Mrs Squirrel and me go about our activities, cracking our stupid jokes, with tolerant amusement. I'll start seeking gatherings of dorky old Vanagon enthusiasts like me to meet and greet. We'll all of us experience the shock to the system that an actual winter confers to SoCal natives.

As for getting up there, professional movers have studied our stuff with practiced eye and all have determined that we have over 8 tons of crap. Sure, some can be discarded, but not much, as a lot of the crap is needed for our jobs, so I see a 100' moving trailer followed by a hefty invoice in my future. I reckon Mellow Yellow will be driven up there, towing my little fiberglass utility trailer, with me at the helm. I am hoping, though, to buy a little Subaru Outback or Forester before heading up there -- seems to be a popular vehicle, well-suited for the conditions. Mellow Yellow is probably less-suitable for daily driving in snow, ice, and other assorted quiescently-frozen water-based street schmutz. Mellow Yellow's function in our lives is for camping and vacationing.

Anyone know a NG or list for Subaru Outback/Foresters? I do want to avoid model years with known problems.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR