Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 2008 08:40:19 -0700
From:         Ken Smale <ksmale1@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Noisy fuel pump causes
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

Hello All,

Brand new to the list. I hope I'm not contravening any protocols by answering this way.

Firstly, I think Ron's advice is great. Here's my story.

I have an '84 as well. When I bought mine 8 years ago the PO gave me an extra fuel pump with the van as the fuel pump was making the usual loud sounds. Soon after, it did in fact fail while on a 3 hour trip, so I put in the replacement he gave me. When I got home I removed and opened up the fuel filter - it was full of dirt and rust. I then replaced the fuel lines to the expansion tanks and started replacing the fuel filter every few months while I was driving the van to try and protect the fuel pump, which had developed the loud noise again.

I recently did a Subaru conversion, and in the course of the conversion removed and cleaned out the gas tank (which was quite clean) and replaced all the fuel lines. Soon after I was on a trip and had some behaviour that seemed like the fuel pump was on its way out (it was 8 years old by then) so I ordered a new one and had it sent by greyhound close to where I was camping.

I replaced the fuel pump, and then found out on the trip home it wasn't the problem (it was related to the speed sensor). I also found that almost instantly the new fuel pump started making the noise again. So, now I have a brand new fuel pump and an old 8 year old spare.

I guess the moral of the story for me is all I will be willing to do is the relatively easy things to make sure I'm not getting crud in the pump like replacing the expansion tank fuel lines and changing and monitoring the pre pump filter. If the filter isn't getting dirty, I'm not going to worry about the tank. In my experience the fuel pumps are very prone to developing the noise suggesting cavitation even when things seem ok, but, they run for a long time like that. I'll just always carry a spare pump and filter and put up with the noise.

Of course, if I start burning out pumps every year, I may have to take more drastic measures.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers,

Ken