Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 May 2008 23:58:27 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Advice about how to deal with auto shipper damage

I wanted to ask the advice of the list about a problem that I am having. I have shipped and received vehicles many, many times with no incidents or problems over the years however I guess you are bound to have a problem eventually. I recently had a Sterling Kit car shipped up here to NJ from KY. The driver calls me tonight to tell me that he is going to deliver the car tomorrow morning. That is fine. However he then proceeds to tell me that he had the car on the upper level of the car hauler and that at some point in the trip the hood of the car has blown off. So now I am being delivered a damaged vehicle and I am not sure what my options are. I am thinking about just noting this on the shipping form and then taking the loss of the hood up with the shipping company. The driver tells me that he has already told them about the problem and that they are telling him that because it was a kit car it should have been transported in an enclosed carrier instead of in an open carrier so they aren't responsible for the loss of the hood. However I was really clear with the shipping company when we were scheduling the pick up of the car that it was a kit car. The guy I was talking to knew all about kit cars and told me that he was thinking about buying one himself. I gave him the website address of Sterling so that he could take a look and see what the car was like. I figure if it was an issue about transporting the car on an open carrier they should have said something to me at that time. Or the driver should have came to pick up the car and then said, Nope I can't transport the car this way we are going to need to use a closed carrier, etc. I feel that since they picked up the car then it is there responsibility to deliver it in one piece. After all I didn't pay for most of the car to be shipped to me here in NJ, I paid for all of the car to be shipped here.

Anyone have a similar experience? How did you deal with it? How did it come out in the end?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com