Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 May 2008 16:55:19 -0400
From:         Ron Tipton <uther@DRAGONHOME.ORG>
Subject:      Re: better gas mileage
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

On May 16, 2008, at 4:25 PM, Loren Busch wrote:

> I'll add my observations and experience to Matt's. I take a lot of > trips > around Washington/Oregon that are mixed freeway/secondary road > traveling. > Most of the time I've plotted my route on Streets & Trips to figure > the > time/distance. I set the options in Street & Trips to slower than > normal > travel, set in fuel, food and rest stops. And still run about 20% > or better > longer till I get there than the predictions in the software say. > Example: > Last week the computer told me I'd drive for almost exactly 5 hours > to get > where I was going. So I figured 6 hours. And the 6 hours was > almost dead > on. The predictions are based on ideal conditions on the road, not > the real > world, especially when passing through more populated areas where > traffic > congestion throws the 'average speed' concept out the door. > And it still comes down to "It's the journey dummy."

to add my experience: google maps says it takes eight hours to drive from here (knoxville, tn) to visit my mom in little rock. i always stop somewhere and eat so i'm a bit slower than that.

in my syncro it takes me around 10 hours. in my cadillac i usually make it in around nine hours. in my mini cooper i also usually make it around nine hours but i have made it as quickly as seven hours - without stopping for food.

the trip is all on the interstate. i usually set my cruise control at five miles over the speed limit (gps speed) in the mini and the cadillac. on my syncro i set it at 60 or 65, but i can't maintain that in a few places between here and nashville.

so in an emergency, i can make it in seven hours in a fast car (without speeding enough to attract the notice of the police) but i don't think i could make it in less than 9 in the syncro.

Ron Tipton uther@dragonhome.org

Go to work Send your kids to school Follow fashion Act normal Walk on the pavement Watch T.V. Save for your old age Obey the law

Repeat after me: I am free