Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 May 2008 09:40:40 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: exhaust bolts / studs... tips or tricks?
Comments: To: Tom Myers <motmyers@hotmail.com>

AFAIK, you want to heat the nut so it expands. Check the archives on this though (within the last year there were posts that I saw regarding this)

As has been said, use penetrating "oil". WD40 is not penetrating oil. Also work it in with a steel bristle brush and use it to clean the crud off the threads that are exposed. One of those cheep plastic brushes should suffice if you hold it near the head. It won't snap as soon.

Be judicial about the amount of torque you apply to the wrench.

Years ago, I learned (one of the few things I was ever "taught" about wrenching) that when loosening/tightening smaller fasteners, one should keep their hand closer to the head of the wrench when turning. That way the risk of applying too much torque is lessened. My point: though you will need to position your hand in the right place so you can actually apply enough torque to remove the nuts, don't apply too much torque.

You develope a feel for a stuck bolt that is about to snap, though sadly, sometimes, it can be too late once you feel that! --- ;^)

Cheers,

Neil.

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 6:11 AM, Tom Myers <motmyers@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hey Folks > > I will be working replacing my pushrod tins soon as part of the oil pressure gauge installation. > > [ 1990 2.1] > > i do not relish the idea of snapping off an exhaust bolt in my driveway. > > so are there some tricks for getting these things off? > > WD40 for a week? propane torch to the head before attempt? dremel tool within reach? > > Thanks in advance! > > Tom Myers > Syracuse NY > 1990 Westy > 1991 Syncro > > > _________________________________________________________________ > E-mail for the greater good. Join the i'm Initiative from Microsoft. > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_ GreaterGood

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/