Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 May 2008 18:27:03 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Does anyone know if you can get a ticket for staying
              overnight in a NJ walmart lot?
Comments: To: taeke <taeke.t@gmail.com>

> Does anyone know if you can get a ticket for staying overnight in a NJ walmart lot? > Anyone positive either way??

Well, the law regarding this stuff is pretty consistent across all 50 states: if it's private property, they can't give you a parking ticket, nor can you usually be charged with a moving violation for that matter. There are a few caveats, such as DUI laws that kick in with you passed out in the back seat in a parking lot of a bar, but you put your keys in the ignition so that somehow shows "intent to drive" so they can arrest you for DUI. Also, ticketing people in disabled parking spaces who don't show a placard is another exception. But I digress.

Parking ticket wise, if it's not a public street or gov't owned/run parking lot, you're fairly safe from the parking enforcement jerks...errr OFFICERS. The owner of the property, however, can call and have you towed away by the parking enforcement OFFICERS if he requests they come on to his property to do so, so make sure whoever runs the lot (e.g. WalMart) is OK with it. But again, there's always the problem of YOU knowing the law, but the parking OFFICER being ignorant of it and writing you a ticket anyway! You being right will get you out of it eventually, but not without a lot of bureaucratic wrangling. It's like they say: being innocent doesn't keep you from being arrested, it just (hopefully) keeps you from being convicted...

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Lastwagen" '90 Vanagon GL - "Wiesel"