Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 May 2008 21:00:18 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jr.arnott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      ADMINISTRIVIA - Reply from AT&T/BellSouth Part I
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Comments: cc: Tom Carrington <tcarrington@relitech.com>,
          Ron 'coyote' Lussier <coyote@glassdoor.com>

Robert, etal;

I apologize for not replying sooner.

Allow me to explain my position in all this....

In my capacity as "List Admin" I have very limited access to gerry.vanagon.com. How limited? I can approve or deny subscription requests. I can add, moderate or remove folks from the list. I can query to determine the status of a subscriber. I can change the status of a user. All commands that are interpreted by LISTSERV. What I cannot do is access any of the gerry.vanagon.com server functions. I do not have access to the web pages, the operating system, or any of the back end stuff. Nor do I have access to the hardware. Most importantly I have no access to any of the logs. I simply cannot provide what is necessary to further troubleshoot this issue.

Immediately prior to when I volunteered to "take over" the admin duties, Tom Carrington was bemoaning the cost of providing the bandwidth necessary for gerry. Since I am employed by an ISP with server shelf space and bandwidth to spare, it was my understanding that gerry was going to be moved to my engine room and Tom was going to move on to other things. At that time, I would then have the necessary tools to actually administer gerry.vanagon.com. (Like PHYSICAL ACCESS!) This has not happened. All that has happened is that Mr. Carrington apparently no longer receives my requests for the occasional "laying on of hands" in that to actually get something done I have to either email or call a fellow listmember who lives in the same general area as the server is located and ask that that member attempt to contact Mr. Carrington. For the past year or so, this has been a hit or miss proposition. (Hence the outage a couple weeks ago.... Someone forgot something and gerry.vanagon.com was unavailable for a few days.)

IMHO, this situation is becoming a mess for lack of a better term. We have the vanagon.com domain owned by Ron Lussier who has had little to do with the list for a number of years, hosted on a box in Sausilito pointing to gerry.vanagon.com, hosted on a box that lives on the east coast in a guy's closet who is rarely available running mailing list software administered by a guy who lives in Oregon and takes most of the heat. Any piece of it breaks and, as Jeff Dunham says, all I can do is run to the end of my chain and bark.

Legally, this mailing list belongs to Ron Lussier. Historically it has belonged to the listmembers (we bought the hardware and software.) I have my thoughts as to how this ought to be resolved, but frankly, it's managed to stumble along as is for seven or eight years so I really don't expect that much will change. Truth be told, I getting burned out because all I can do is tier one support. I do not have the tools or the access necessary to actually fix the problems or update the site. I don't even have a direct line to tier two support. I just have to leave a note and hope that someone will get back to me. Just like you.

I'll open this non-vanagon discussion to all in that I believe that this directly affects all list members. Let's hear your thoughts on hpw to proceed.

Sorry to bitch publicly and sorry that I can't help solve the root problem.

I remain,

At your service,

Jim Arnott

On May 19, 2008, at 4:44 PM, Robert Fisher wrote: > It's not limited to those .net domains listed; I talked to a tech > at my ISP > (Mediacom cable) which is mchsi.com, and he said they are essentially > 'piggybacked' on or 'downstream' from the AT&T trunk, so anything > that AT&T > does to block spam on their networks also blocks spam on the > networks of > those that use them for their internet connection, so to speak. He > said the > site administrator could write to AT&T and ask them to remove the > site from > the blacklist, however it turns out that you have to send that > email from > another domain as you would obviously get caught in a catch-22 as your > request email would also be treated as spam. > > I sent a note to Jim with this information, but I never received a > reply. > > As I recall, I stopped getting email on my mchsi.com account > shortly after > somebody did in fact spam the list. The last day I got regular list > mail on > that account was July 27th, 2007. > > Cya, > Robert