Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 May 2008 21:05:08 -0700
From:         Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Draining the gas tank
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

Pump it out with your fuel pump ( though you wouldn't want to get junk in it -) or another old fuel pump. of just waiit until you finally just have to take the sucker out of there. I use a floor jack, it MUST come down in steps - you lower it some, you struggle with grommets and a vent hose, you undo the fuel level sender wire. then you lower it to the ground.

you have to support it 4./5th's up in there to undo and connect stuff before you either lower the old one to the floor, or push the old one all the way up. it is not a fun job.

there's a vanagon guy near me ..........a shop........He 'will not' do gas tanks. won't work on syncro's either. and a syncro gas tank ..........now THAT is a nightmare job ! scott

Rob wrote: > I have the 'out' hose on my '84 fuel tank in a gas can and the fuel > is draining, very slowly but it is draining. Does the fuel always > come out that slow? There is less than 1/2 a tank but I expected > something more, in 10 minutes I have maybe an inch in my 5 gal can. > > I'm changing the fuel tank. After the 'noisy fuel pump' thread, the > story related by Aaron and the lesson on old dirty tanks by Scott I > ordered one from Volks Cafe on Thurs. A competitive price, the order > was processed that same day, it was sitting here when I got home this > afternoon and there were cookies too!. I can't really ask more than that. > A quiet pump would be good and being able to use the whole tank of > gas even better. I also ordered the tank reseal kit, new hoses and > such down there sounds like a fine idea. > > Anything special I need to watch for with this project? > > > > Rob > > becida@comcast.net > Western Washington State, USA > >