Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 May 2008 20:28:32 -0600
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@GWTC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wal-Mart parking lots

If you're just looking for a place to sleep from after dusk to dawn, or a little after, any street in America is pretty good. Our little town has a place for people to pull off the highway and camp - it's right downtown, part of the city park. There's always a pickup game of basketball or a softball/american legion/little league game going on in the spring/summer/fall evenings.

I think it's the "freeway" mind that makes walmart attractive - I am a little surprised at enthusiasm to make use of Walmart, to shop there, to sleep there... One of the reasons we drive Vanagons is their low profile/footprint. I've lived in major cities in my 66 camper - Boston in mid-winter in 1974 - and never got hassled - ever. I can't imagine stopping at a walmart as a destination if there is a dirt road around, or ... ??? This is just an opinion and not meant to spur flames or passion...

Jeffrey Olson Martin, SD

Slloth wrote: > with you in that we shouldn't spoil the welcoming but...I have thought > about this before. This country is all about freedom. Freedom this and > freedom that but how many places can you just pull off the side of the > road (out of the way) and just set up camp. Not very many with out > getting hassled by the cops or Highway patrol. We are expected to seek > out some lame, crowded camp site and pay money to stay there. Now I > know there are parts of the country where you can stay over night but > I'm not talking about the dessert. Sorry. I feel better. > >