Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 May 2008 21:52:58 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Wal-Mart 'camping'

While I do sometimes sleep in Wal-Mart lots, it's usually because I am forced to do so by circumstances. I've 'stealth-camped' in many cities with few incidents, too. My Mall-Wart visits usually only occur when I am on a schedule and am forced to do the freeways or interstates to arrive somewhere for some event.. When I start to get too tired to continue driving safely, a Wal-Mart looks good for a few hours sleep. I usually try to go inside the store the next morning and buy at least a coffee or something for my trip before I exit the lot. Karma.. I began the Wal Mart stops when I was hauling my racecar in a trailer because I could get in and out of the lots without problems with the long rig.. Just pulling off on a side road and sleeping in an isolated area...I don't usually get a good rest..every car wakes me as it passes, every strange noise is suspect..Especially in areas near interstates, which seem to be a little 'rough' some places.. In a Wal Mart lot with a few motorhomes around, I figure..Who'd bother with a 25 year old VW camper when there are big ritzy RVs with more 'stuff' around. They would make better targets for some crack-head or meth freak looking for $.. I also travel with protection and some big dogs. The dogs do make in town stealth camping difficult.. Don Hanson