Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 May 2008 00:49:19 -0700
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air intake

Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 11:32:54 +1000 From: Dave Yates <transparu@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Air intake

I've a Subi engine in my Vanagon and on recent trips in VERY dusty conditions found the air filter collected too much dust. At present it is a cone type with a cleanable paper filter.

Has anyone put their filter up through the panelwork that runs up the corner of the van to the air vent? I can envisage some sort of a flexible hose, but I have trouble knowing what sort of filter to put up there, inside the vent, so that it doesn't change the appearance of the van.

An alternative might be to shroud the existing filter somehow so that all its air comes from up in that cavity, but the last thing I want to do is reduce the air flow into the intake.

Any comments anyone?

Dave downunder ---------------------------- Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:18:46 -0700 From: Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Air intake

Have you thought about getting a snorkel and sand trap out of a donor Syncro? Comparing the Syncro intake and my 84 Westy intake, there is much less dust with the Syncro snorkel. Maybe one of those K&N washable filters that are coated with oil. I have no experience with these permanent filters, but it's worth checking out. Perhaps there are a few list members who offer their feedback on the K&N.

Keith O -------------- Hi Dave from downunder.....

From reading the Subi conversion yahoo list, parts from a Dodge Van can be modified to shroud your paper cone filter (or the cone filter that fits into the Dodge air-box). Info about the model and year are in the archives or on Al Bells wonderful collection of conversion articles. Some info can be gleamed and used from the inline-four gas and diesel conversion articles also. Much reading here....

See link: http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/index.html

Your question about installing a cone filter up inside the Air-Plenum will be really limited as this area is very narrow/thin in size. For-sure, duct incoming air from this upper plenum but the lower area of the plenum is the only area large enough to mount an air-filter with sufficient surface area for your Subi to breath easily in the dusty operating conditions you mention.

I recall the question(s) about restricting air-flow to your Subi's TB is pretty much a moot point. The TB itself is the limiting orifice to your engines induction system! The stock '86 and newer Air Snorkel will supply all the air your fire-breathing Subi can suck....

About air-filters. Dennis H. makes a good point about doing an oil analysis to see what is possibly getting through your paper filter. Some antidotal campfire stories about the K&N filters is worth repeating. The Syncro Safari guys, playing around in the desert dust (full of silica dust) were comparing notes at the end of the day. Folks running K&N filters were seeing a light coating of silica dust inside their TB's; down-stream from their carefully cleaned and oiled K&N Filters. Folks running the stock Syncro snorkel, vortex dust separator and stock air-box air-filter were not seeing any dust collecting on the inside of the TB! Other notes; A freshly cleaned and oiled K&N filter needs to condition itself by collecting some dust on its oily surface to obtain best filtering results....Huh? Meaning, before driving in real dusty conditions, drive in a not too dusty place to get your filter ready to really play in the dirt! Sounds like a bunch of marketing doo-doo to me...... 8:(

If you are running in real dusty conditions, there is the optional Heavy Duty Mann Filter that will fit into a stock '86 and newer Air-Box. The filter medium in this heavy-duty filter is very impressive!

Your issue though, is where to fit a stock 2.1 Air-box on your Subi conversion? AFAIK.... there isn't enough room in either side-plenum to stash an stock 2.1 air-box without carving up some sheet-metal.... Again, check on the Subi Yahoo conversion list for the most up to date and newest incarnations of wrecking yard scrounged parts, made to fit....

Good hunting Dave

Phil Z. '86 Westie with way-too many mods Campbell River, BC -------------------------