Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 May 2008 08:05:57 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: New platform-www.vanagon.us.com?
Comments: To: John Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>

Hi John,

FMBC's web forum works well enough, but they are no longer the group they were before the web forums went online. They originally used an email list to keep their group in touch between campouts, and their were complaints similar to the ones vented here recently. Since the web forum went online that core group has been considerably diluted by people who aren't part of that demographic. The groups a lot bigger, but many of the original members have lost interest in the web forums. Luckily I can still catch up with them at campouts, or on other lists.

They also get multiple/repeat postings regularly. Search for Verdier.ca there, for instance, and it comes up repeatedly. Tires, Oil, batteries... it happens all the time, same as here.

Picture posting is nice, but for a group the size of Vanagon.com it'll break the bank quite promptly. FMBC has been forced to subsidize their server with advertising, and I would rather not go there. There are only so many sympathetic advertisers out there, and only how much screen real estate should one have to give up? As many people have already said: If it's a web forum you want, they already exist elsewhere.

I participate on an active Yahoo group; they do a good job of combining email with a web-based service but you are still out of luck in terms of attachments and inline graphics. And the service has been going downhill lately since they started embedding ads in messages. Quoting has been a real hassle lately.

My $.02 would be to keep the vanaon list as-is.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop www.busesofthecorn.com www.pottsfamily.ca

John Runberg wrote: > Huh. who woulda thought people loved the volume of email so much :) ? > > Alternate position (at least to most I've read) -- use forum software > that emails new posts out to those that want them. In a perfect > world, allow people to post from email. Alright, who's first to swing > at me? > > Seriously, there are a couple distinct benefits to a more modern > system (note, I didn't say forum, just something more modern). > > - ability to post pictures > - ability to do a decent search in a reasonable amount of time > - possibly a large reduction in duplicate posts (tires, coolant, etc...) > - ability to link to older posts / threads that answer a common question > - ability to easily ignore topics that don't interest you (instead of > wading through page after page of it) > > Full Moon Bus Club (if someone mentioned it already, I'm sorry. > Haven't been keeping up on my Gerry) works really well using a forum > and honestly I think it's better in some ways and not as good in others. > > To each their own... > > john >