Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 May 2008 13:38:40 -0400
From:         Peter Young <pyjme@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ninja Camping (was Wal-Mart parking lots)

I used to work for the Forest Service patrolling these "ninja sites" as you call them. We called them dispersed sites, as in not consolidated into a single area. They are perfectly legal to use, and will likely still be legal way into the future, but you're right Keith - we need to keep these places clean. I can't tell you how many people would tell me (lie to my face) that they would clean up their site when they left and then leave ALL of their trash, refuse, etc, behind. I even gave these people a large garbage bag to put all their trash in! If I was lucky they would use the bag so that at least all I had to pick up was the bag, but usually I had to clean up dispersed garbage in the dispersed site (see the picture of my engine with a day's haul of garbage here: ) On the other hand, however, there were people who cleaned up the garbage left by others in the sites they were staying in. I once came across a retired couple who had cleaned up the worst site on the forest, filling the entire bed of their pickup truck. We sent them an official certificate of appreciation for their effort. I also had a group of young adults (18-20) ask me for extra garbage bags so they could clean up more trash - and they did this before they knew I was handing them out!