Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 May 2008 16:47:52 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Time to change rear drive axle??

What kind of mileage on the Vanagons are we talking about here? I replaced one once, but it was because the cinder block holding it up, crushed and the wheel-less Vanagon fell to the asphalt. I was inside taking a p*ss and getting ready to go under it , at the time. The drum hit the ground and bent something. Never found out exactly what, but the symptom was pulsating pedal. I know it was not the drum that was bent as I swapped it out. It was the stub axel, bearing housing, or bearing. I changed them all.

It might be a better idea to just swap a bearing hub with a rather low mileage hub. Someone got one for this owner that they can sell??

All hubs are the same,and bearing swap is expensive, and they need to be pressed in and out at a shop. The bearings themselves are expensive, too.

Might be best to just swap the entire housing.