Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 May 2008 17:20:10 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: ADMINISTRIVIA - Reply from AT&T/BellSouth Part I
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>

My other group -known as Clayart - uses Listserv Software v15.1. That seems to be the latest version. Until just a few days ago, they wee running something like Listserv 1.1 or so. Really ancient stuff. There was a long debate about the best software, and like many here, the Web based stuff was strongly considered and highly recommended by some, but eventually by consensus, it was decided that the straight e-mail format was the best. There were many reasons for the conclusion, but the entire system was revamped but it stayed strictly a direct e-mail system. It would appear that the reflected mail is the simplest of all, and everyone from rank tin horn novice to professional Guru can use it. So it was decided. And many breathed a sigh of relief, because apparently others had gone the other direction and those groups just died off. Don't know what it is, but the direct e-mail seems to maintain the cohesion of the community better than others.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Richard A Jones wrote: >>>> Ron Lussier appears to own "Vanagon.info" >>>> >>>> perhaps he could be persuaded to donate it to the Vanagon community? >>>> >> I would be fine with this. >> > > > Ron and vanagon.com are not the problem. > > The problem is the hands-on control of gerry.vanagon.com. > Surely someone on the list could host a little machine > at their job machine room. That's the way it has been > done so far. > > I almost volunteered when gerry needed to get out of > Canada--when it went to Tom. Now I'm retired and > dependent old employees to keep jones.colorado.edu > hidden in a machine room. But I could put gerry in > my office or basement. I'd just have to upgrade my > Comcast cable to allow a server connection. > > Of course, the CORRECT way would be to put gerry in > a Vanagon--a rolling machine room. Then moving it to > a new caretaker would be simple. Except, of course, > for leaking fuel lines, dry CVs, etc, etc. ;-) > > Richard > > >