Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 May 2008 20:32:55 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: So, you don't like Subi...
Comments: To: JordanVw@aol.com

I'm so sorry that in Pa they can't grasp the incredible viability of subaru's.

Markets niche areas vary, vary a lot.

Subaru originally got their rep for cheap, durable, winter performing cars.

They did great in the northeast.

I have ..honest, taken a picture in Alaska outside a bar , in the 80's of 9 Subaru's parked in a row.

And they had rust holes right through their fenders, and half of them had no muffler.

But by golly...they were cheap, they didn't ever break, and they worked fine in snow.

I have a friend - with a late 80's hatch back small Subaru hatchback car.

It has 4WD and locking rear diff.

He has gone out off- roading with jeeps.

He's a good driver too, and he has gotten standing ovations from jeep owners for what that little cheap, now 20 year old box of a little car will do off-road.

They be darn good cars.

They just don't get popular in all markets.

In the west..they 'just work'.

This country is really many cultural areas that are completely different from each other.

Hhere in the west....in California especially......in the late 80's ..... a Honda or a Toyota would run just many thousands of miles with few problem, hundreds of thousands of miles.

No kidding on an 85 Honda Accord in California you might NEVER think about the power steering system, EVER.

I worked on hundreds of toytotas. Hondas, nissans there. That was before Subaru's were popular too.

I had a customer drive an Accord to me with the water pump impeller laying in the water pump housing - the shaft just sheered off.

The woman drove it 70 miles to me on the freeway.

It DID NOT HURT THE ENGINE in ANY WAY ~!

Old toyaotas - same thing.

Nissans..one of the best built cars there is.

Yet, I have a vanagon friend in Maryland....he says those Japanese cars are junk, and don't last any better than American cars or whatever.

Just a whole other world from the west is all I can say.

-----Original Message----- From: JordanVw@aol.com [mailto:JordanVw@aol.com] Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 7:59 PM To: scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: So, you don't like Subi...