Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 May 2008 23:27:38 -0700
From:         Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wind noise?
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

Well, what kind of wind noise ? and at what speed ? The reason i ask is i had one vanagon that had a bad whistle at 60 mph or so. On the passenger's front door. Lower the driver's window two inches - noise went away. ( saw this on another vanagon recently too ) On the first one, i knew it was associated with the pass' door or windows. no amount of testing or covering over temporarily with tape would reveal where the 'bad spot' was. Finally.......... it was a 91 Syncro Westy with Subaru 230 hp SVX engine that i put in - so a very high end Vanagon ........ I ordered new front door seals from the dealer, and had the dealer 's body shop install them, they did a perfect job too. After that.......... no whistle............just normal Yangon wind noise.

In upgrading Vanagons ...............in the engine power department - like rippin' Subaru engines., and upgrading the suspension and brakes to match............ one thing you will never get in a vanagon is flush side windows and aerodynamics. They have flush enough windshields, but............ i finally figured this out .........they really were designed as 55 to 60, or 65 max all out vehicles. 'sporty almost trucks' I call them. A fantastic combo btw- good ground clearance, can carry all kinds of junk, or sleep in it, cook in it.........tough suspension etc. but ............above 60 ............ what you will never get in a vanagon that modern cars have :

Aerodynamics and the low wind resistance you get at speed with that, and the quietness moving through the air at speed that is available with a well designed modern car ( outside rear view mirrors are often a source of noise at speed in a modern car - or so i read ) # 2 ............Air bags and very modern crash-worthiness. # 3 .........ABS brakes. it's a 60 to 65 mph max vehicle and there's no way around that. Sure they'll crusie 70- y75 if you have the power and gearing. That SVX syncro - it would go 80.............anywhere, uphill even, in 3rd or 4th. Tons of power everywhere - what I call "Authority." Very rewarding to drive ! And fuel burn is too high pushing a box through the air at 70 and above anyway.

but .........perhaps be more specific with your question....... and have you driven other vanagons to compare with yours ?

oh, very important...............YEP - Westy. they are noisier than passenger vanagons, noticeably so. General noise though, not wind noise that i've noticed.

scott