Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 May 2008 13:24:38 -0600
From:         Don Spence <dkspence@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Gasoline

Yup. You get our raw synthetic crude and we get stuck with toxic tailing "ponds" and open pit mines so large you can see them from space. The Syncrude Tailings Dam is a barrage dam that is, by volume

of material, the largest dam in the world at 540,000,000 cubic meters, behind which is stored the toxin laden "waste" water used in the mining process. A cubic metre of oil, mined from the tar sands, needs two to 4.5 cubic metres of water.

For every barrel of synthetic oil produced in Alberta, more than 80 kg of greenhouse gases are released[ into the atmosphere and between 2,000 and 4,000 barrels (640 m³) of waste water are dumped into tailing ponds that have replaced about 50 km² of forest.

But don't worry, the Alberta Government is busy spending $25,000,000.00 to tell you how "clean" it all is. They will probably

double that amount if the ducks keep landing on and sinking into the tailing "ponds".

Stepping off my soapbox now. Got a vanagon to work on. Anyone tried

rubber powered? Know where I can get a big elastic band.