Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 May 2008 12:07:20 -0400
From:         "Berlett, Edward" <eberlett@TOWSON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Diesel schmiesel...i'm thinking of going electric
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

Some people have done this. I remember a high school converted a vanagon. A quick search: http://e-vanagon.blogspot.com/ http://www.northhavencommunityschool.org/Electric%20Vehicle%20Project/ev.html

Thanks Ed

Electricity is not free. Batteries do not last forever. Even if this scheme worked, how much diesel could you buy for $8,000? At $5 a gallon, 1,600 gallons, more than 100 full refuelings.

What else could you do with the $8,000?

If you can't afford to fuel your van now, where is the $8,000 coming from?

I think 100 miles range is very very optimistic for a pure EV Vanagon. Where did this number come from? What if it's only 25 miles? Would the van even usable for you?

I think you really need to sit down with a pencil and calculator and think this through...

"Mark Thoma" <mpthoma2003@YAHOO.COM> said: > All this talk of fuel prices has me freeked out! Even though my 1.9td > gets a consistant, and documented, 27mpg at 65 mpg and probably about > 29-30 at 55mpg, with fuel that costs $4.59 a gallon...and rising...I'm > giving serious thought to yanking the engine out...and putting in an > electric motor and a whole lot of 6-volt batteries. I know the van > wouldn't have a lot of range...probably 100 miles tops. But as it is now > I can't afford to drive it much more than that without taking out a bank > loan. The conversion would cost lest than $8k (maybe) and I would have > someting I could drive until electricity became obsolete! And if I put a > solar array on top of my roof I could 'fuel' my van for free every day. > mark >