Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 May 2008 12:55:11 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Water Pump // Alternator Belt problem
Comments: To: Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Scott,

Bravo, Bravo! You were absolutely correct! The water pump pulley was on backwards. I removed it and reversed it and it lines up perfectly.

Last night, after reading your reply, I thought "well, that certainly could be the problem, but how could the van have run for over 40,000 miles without the problem surfacing before now?" And, the water pump was changed by an excellent van mechanic (now retired) and I doubt if he made that kind of mistake.

During a restless night worrying about the problem, and after looking at the Bentley and a receipt for some recent work, the source of the problem hit me. I live in Virginia and we have to have yearly vehicle safety inspections, part of which involves visually inspecting at least one front brake pad and one rear brake pad. In the past, I have run into problems with safety inspection stations being unable to remove the rear drum even after I explained how. So, I usually go to a VW dealer about 30 miles away for the safety inspection.

Recently, I went to the VW dealer for the safety inspection and mentioned that there seemed to be a coolant leak around the water pump and asked them to check it. A few minutes later, the mechanic (loosely used term) informed me that the water pump was fine and I just needed a minor gasket replaced. I told him to fix it and didn't think any more about it.

Well, guess which gasket was replaced? *Part #N-901-685-02* which is the water gasket for the steel air bleed nipple on the the right head. After looking at the Bentley, putting on a robe, and grabbing a flashlight, I went outside and inspected the van. Yep, made perfect sense to me what happened. The guy at the dealership removed the pulley to replace the gasket and then put the pulley on backwards.

While I am highly annoyed with what happened, I certainly learned a lot in changing the belts and reversing the pulley. How the belt stayed on for over a 1,000 miles is amazing. I am thankful I found the problem and that Scott gave me the correct reason for the problem.

Scott, if my wife and I end up in Oregon this summer, we are coming by your shop to buy you a cup of coffee.

Thanks for the correct diagnosis.

Oh, and yes, I have lubed many, many places on the van but am certain I have missed many more. I did lube the doors, and every thing I could find where metal rubbed on metal. I bought some Redline MT-90 but I think I will have to go to a real mechanic to get that changed. I just can't get the fill plug loose with my improvised tool.

Thanks again,

Harold -- Harold & Faye Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA