Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 May 2008 18:26:04 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery Woes/Choice
Comments: To: colorworks@gci.net

In a message dated 23/05/2008 9:43:42 A.M. Central Standard Time, colorworks@gci.net writes:

What are the specs on the flooded battery from Costco?

Same as any standard group 41 battery.

I do not have the advantage of the solar panel when the engine is off, although in the land of the midnight sun, it would be a nice addition. I'm running some additional experiments as we speak. Have the odyssey and the main starter battery linked. It's down to 45°, so that the Atwood is running in addition to the DC fridge, and some lights for about an hour at half. From the resting voltage figures, I'm definitely going to need at least 100AH, and more wouldn't hurt. I have a hard time believing that a standard flooded battery would have this kind of capacity, although I can't deny the fact it's been working for you. I would be very curious to know your total power requirements. Also curious to know how you managed to fit a group 41 battery, and something like a solenoid or surepower into that space behind the driver seat.

The battery compartment behind & under the drivers seat will accommodate a group 41 battery and the Sure Power 1315 battery separator with no problem. I do that install for my customers all the time. The Sure Power 1315 must have one of its feet cut off so that it can be located as far as possible in the RH front corner of the battery compartment where there is a space that the battery cannot occupy.

Second, a standard flooded battery generally requires ventilation. How did you deal with this, or are you just not worried about it?

The battery compartment is not sealed. I have never had nor do I know of anyone who has ever had a problem.

I am still leaning towards a battery under the rear seat. I have a Subaru conversion installed, so no ECU taking up a bunch of space there and can get a pretty good-sized battery on the drivers side. I could then use that space behind the driver seat for some storage. Admittedly, attempted to remove the metal cover that's impossible to open unless you rotate the seat-- Hate that design! Anyway, I'm assuming that you're running your solar collector while using this auxiliary battery or your power requirements are fairly low? Would be interested in learning more. From what I'm seeing, a 60AH battery is not going to cut it, unless it is supplemented with the main battery.

Solar panel is wired in permantely. When the sun is shinning on it the aux battery is being charged. There is an automatic controller to prevent over charging. The size of your aux battery will depend on your electrical needs when there is no input to the aux battery from any source. This will vary for each and every user, so you must do your own calculations and decide how to accommodate them. In my case I have the input and output well balanced and all works well.

I'm also unclear as to how low you can bring the resting voltage without doing serious damage to the battery. AGM's can of course can be drained further than a flooded battery. Anyone know??

This is why I am advocating the use of the Kirkland battery from COSTCO. They offer a 3 year no questions asked guarantee. So when you screw up the battery by dropping the voltage down too low and it won't hold a charge any more, just take it back to COSTCO and get another. Otherwise you will have to come up with another solution to your problem, like putting good deep cycle batteries under the rear bench seat and loosing storage space.

This souce (_http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html_ (http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html) ) suggested 12.20 While Trojan suggest 11.96 see: _http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/DeepCycleMaintenance.pdf_ (http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/DeepCycleMaintenance.pdf) I'm assuming a 60% drain as maximum.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June12 ~ 15, 2008